Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
botanical_drifter

Blue Flag Iris

botanical_drifter
13 years ago

In search of the Blue Flag Walking Iris. It is in my Florida Plant book. I have the yellow but am a fan of blue.

I have looked at garden centers and no luck.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

botanical_drifter

Comments (20)

• botanical_drifter
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I assume I might be looking for the Blue Apostle Iris??

I have the one that is white blue and brown.

botanical_drifter

• botanical_drifter
    Original Author
    13 years ago

This is what I am looking for: Iris virginica (Blue Flag Iris).

Does anyone know how long to bloom from seed?? ..if I went the seed route?

Thanks,

botanical_drifter

• botanical_drifter
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ok... I'm a little confused.

Guess I am looking for a Louisiana Iris? Is there an all blue Apostle Iris? I have the white/brown/blue one..it is blooming now. Looking for the blue giant iris.

Anyone growing the Blue Flag Iris?

Thanks,

botanical_drifter

• coffeemom
    13 years ago

I'm confused, too. Here's my Apostle Iris....sideways. I also grow the blue walking iris.

• dirtygardener73
    13 years ago

Blue flag iris doesn't walk. It does spread like wildfire. There is a "blue" walking iris, which is really white with blue on it. I have a couple of those, but that's not what you want.

Start looking for them in ditches in out-of-the-way places. They are blooming in Gainesville right now, I know. I always just called them "flags" and I got my yellow ones from a ditch in an undeveloped part of town.

• tropicalfreak
    13 years ago

Coffeemom,

Nice pic! Is that easy to find down here?

Tropicalfreak

• botanical_drifter
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Coffeemom,

Thanks for sharing the pic of yours. That is the one I am speaking about!!

botanical_drifter

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    13 years ago

You might like to see Hoe & Shovel's recent blog - it was on irises! See link below.

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: Irises that Won't Shrink from Florida's Humidity

• coffeemom
    13 years ago

That was an old picture. I can't get these suckers to bloom! My Walking iris and African iris are blooming but not the Apostles.I kept hitting them with bloom booster along with the Plumies. It worked on the Plumies.
    I got mine from Searles in S. Fla.but I saw something at Lowes labled "purple iris" but they weren't in bloom either.
    Botanicaldrifter, where are you located?

• ladywingr
    13 years ago

I found mine at Accent Nursery in Palmetto, FL (near Bradenton).

• jaxtropix
    13 years ago

Blue Flag iris is found in ditches of my neighborhood, and I saw some in the wild in south Florida too. I saw it for sale at the Kanapaha spring festival, and I think that the seller bulbsandmore on ebay sells them...

• botanical_drifter
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Seems way too populated down here in Fort Lauderdale to find this iris in a ditch. lol I don't think there are ditches here.

wish I could find the exact one Coffeemom has a pic of. That is a dandy.

botanical_drifter

• garyfla_gw
    13 years ago

Hi
    I have a type that is a true blue and grows and flowers
    much like a beaded Iris Flowers come from a branched stem that grows up to six feet.They also remain open all day and night. It is a "SWAMP type but feel that it's not a Louisianna as the standards stick up much like a bearded.
    It does require standing water year around so feel sure it's not a beaded/japanese or siberian.
    If you have a marsh or water garden they are good except VERY invasive lol and they only flower in the spring . gary

• tomncath
    13 years ago

I see them all the time in the ditches along 4th St. and 9th St. north of Gandy and Roosevelt in St. Pete. The ditches there rarely dry out and even when they do the plants come back every year.

Tom

• coffeemom
    13 years ago

My Lowes on Pines and Dykes has these...maybe. They're not in bloom. They say purple iris on the pot and Regina on the sticker.Check your Lowes and see what you find.
    (Maybe they'll be discounted after Easter)

• coffeemom
    12 years ago

Huge plants found at BJ's. Marked regina and $12.99. They are in great shape so they haven't been there too long.
    Happy hunting!

• eriktampabay
    11 years ago

I have a TON of them. Parrish Florida. Liners 1 gallon 3 gallon 7 gallon

• SandyTroy
    10 years ago

Question on Blue Flag Iris (Iris Virginica)... reading on line states it is not an invasive plant. I see in this blog some say it spreads like crazy. I want to introduce three native flowering plants into the large pond on my property... but do not want to put in a plant that goes out of control. If you have Blue Flag Iris in your large pond what is your experience with it? Is it invasive? Thanks all.

• SandyTroy
    10 years ago

Question on Blue Flag Iris (Iris Virginica)... reading on line states it is not an invasive plant. I see in this blog some say it spreads like crazy. I want to introduce three native flowering plants into the large pond on my property... but do not want to put in a plant that goes out of control. If you have Blue Flag Iris in your large pond what is your experience with it? Is it invasive? Thanks all.

• garyfla_gw
    10 years ago

Hi
    I find most every type of water plant invasive to some degree lol I plant everything in dish pans .pots troughs.
    The iris is rampant but does not get out of the water
    Another problem with them is the height. the flower approaches 5 feet in height and blows over very easily
    Loisianna types are much more manageable .come in more forms and colors gary