Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Impressive Lettuce

Posted by derbyka (My Page) on
Tue, May 21, 13 at 1:30

One of the guys at my community garden has been growing a lettuce variety (name unknown) that his friend brought back from Portugal at least a few years ago. He gave me some seed last year and this lettuce is great so far. I have slowly stopped growing less and less of other varieties and more and more replant the seeds from previous generation of this variety. It is still germinating when direct seeded and producing consistently in this heat and humidity here in 10a in St. Pete. It is somewhat red in color, a little ruffly, but very large leafed/stiff and crisp. The plants bolt a little more quickly over all in the heat but keep going as long as they are watered well. The plants get maybe 1 hour of shade in the morning. I am going to get some more seed in the next couple of days and was wondering if anyone else wanted some/was curious and wanted to try it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Impressive Lettuce

derbyka - I'm very impressed at how nice the lettuce looks this time of year especially at zone 10a!!! How does it taste? Not bitter? Sure, I would like to give this lettuce a try. I would be glad to send you a S.E.S.E. so it won't cost you any postage. Please send me an email.

Christine

o

I'm impressed, too! A lettuce that takes full sun in St. Pete in May is something. If it does not taste bitter, I would love to try some. I will be happy to send a S.A.S.E. or trade, whichever you prefer. Please email me.

Laura

o

It does taste a little bitter now, but I find mainly down low in the "stalky" part of the leaf. I usually just harvest the top half of the leaf and soak in cold water if it's bitter at all. Watering a lot right before picking helps too. I'm not sure if the bitterness will be worse later on as I didn't attempt to grow it in the summer last year. It might have a harder time as the heat sets in more down here. I've been continually re-planting to see how far I can push it. If you are still interested, I would be happy to send some seed. I will keep harvesting more if anyone wants to wait until the fall too.

o

Hello

I would love to have some if you have any available.
E-mail me what you need.

Thanks

o

derbyka - Did you get my email?

Christine

o

Derbyka, I sent you an email. Please let me know if you didn't get it.

Thanks,
Laura

o

Did any of you guys further north/inland with cooler nights have luck with the seeds I sent in July and August? I brought some to Illinois when visiting my parents and planted it. It has thrived (no bolting or bitterness) through July and August here (80-90 temps, but it cools down here at night and is less humid).

o

derbyka - I sprouted just a few seeds to try them out. They were too stressed to grow well. I'll wait for the cooler weather to plant them again. Thanks for the seeds.

Christine

o

I wanted to check in to see how the lettuce was growing for others.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here