Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
love_the_yard

Good Idea: Inexpensive Blooming Begonias

Great inexpensive idea for a shade planter: $1.98 for a six-pack of bedding begonias that will fill a 10-inch pot. Even a quart container of begonias costs around $4.99 so a $1.98 six-pack is a deal. I put this one together today in about ten minutes. These will flower profusely all year round and are happiest if grown in filtered or full shade. They will tolerate some morning or late afternoon sun. And they have no bloom cycle - they bloom continuously! I love that! I love to fill pots of begonias and stick them in different corners of the yard to brighten things up. They are so cheap and take almost no effort to maintain. :)

Carol in Jacksonville

Comments (18)

• whgille
    10 years ago

Hi Carol

I agree with you, here are my begonias.

Silvia

• palmcityfl
    10 years ago

At the HD big box stores in South Florida, begonias are always available for 99 cents, sometimes on sale at 2 for $1. They are in the annuals section.

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sylvia, I love the red ones! They give a great pop of color! And your little guy coming down the walkway looks so proud.

Palmcity, that is not too bad. These are in the annuals section also: six-pack of begonias for $1.98. That makes the price 3 for $1! I used to see six-packs and think of them as only bedding plants. Then a light bulb went off in my head. {{gwi:387657}}

Carol

This post was edited by love_the_yard on Fri, May 24, 13 at 10:31

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

Very pretty you guys!! I will have to get some...I have a 10" pot with nothing in it. Great idea and who doesn't love that price!!

Cute Dog Silvia :o)

• foreverlad
    10 years ago

Couldn't agree with you more Carol, potting up Begonias is a great (and inexpensive) way of adding color and some alternate textures to a garden.

I recently put my begonias in a garden bed and already regret it. They just seem so much more natural in a good pot.

Best part is, they're tough plants. A little water seems to go a long way with them, and they're just not that fussy.

Mike

• whgille
    10 years ago

Carol, thank you. My little dog Tiny is very sociable and he gets to be outside when we are out.

Thank you Nancy, I have not seen a recent picture of your beloved pug, I hope that he is doing great being the only child.:)

I planted a white and red begonia in a container also.

This is how the bed looks today, I don't have any shade so they stay mostly in the sun and Anna's caladiums are back! I moved them from a pot.:)

Silvia

• morningloree
    10 years ago

Great inspiration, I used to not have many plants in containers, but they add to the garden and weeds don't grow where the pots are!

Original Author
    10 years ago

I hope these work out well for everyone. I got so inspired, I made three more today after I noticed that six-packs are only $1.68 at Walmart. Mike, that is so cheap, you can still fill your pots. Sylvia, I borrowed your idea and made one of mixed colors, pink and white.

By the way, the pots I made last year, overwintered in the yard tucked near the base of some shrubbery. Never brought them inside or up to the porch, even on the nights we were in the 20s. Who calls these annuals anyway? :)

Carol

This post was edited by love_the_yard on Sat, May 25, 13 at 23:38

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

I just checked my Local big box stores and I couldn't find any 6 pack of Begonias for $1.98 or less?!? I even asked the person that worked there...must be a store specific item :o(

Silvia, thanks for asking! Max is doing great...here's a picture of him from last summer inhaling the scent of one of my ripe mango,lol...

Carol, I hope you don't mind me posting this picture...

• whgille
    10 years ago

Oh Nancy thanks for posting the picture, your Max is so cute! and he takes after mami with the love for a ripe mango.:) Mine are veggie lovers, I make their dinner every day with organic beef and veggies, they help in the garden.

Carol, did you said that you love dogs? do you have any now? if so I would like to see them if you have a picture...

About the begonias, I really don't remember the price but I know that they were cheap, for annuals if I don't grow them from seed I only buy them if they are not expensive, sometimes they live longer.

Silvia

• aharriedmom
    10 years ago

I love begonias. I had tried them many years ago, when I was even more a newbie gardener but I am fairly sure I put them in too much sun.

I have two "half-pots" of plants which overwintered last winter. One plant in each pot made it, and both are big and happy. The other plant didn't die, but almost did, and both are very slow starting so far this spring.

I can't put any plants in the shady ground that branches that can be easily snapped off. I have three dogs, and one is particularly determined to crush all the flowers he can. He generally leaves the full-sun stuff alone (in the summer, not so much in the winter).
    I have a lot of containers, mostly because of him.

• zzackey
    10 years ago

I worked at Lowe's for 13 weeks as a temporary employee. The best part of the job was buying flowering plants on sale and 4" annuals for 88 cents or 98 cents. They had Begonias in 8 packs or 6 packs for more than $1.98. I haven't grown begonias since I was a kid. I have two I bought from Lowe's. I prefer the dark leafed ones. They take more sun.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Zackey, I must have gotten lucky - the ones at the top of this post were $1.98 at Lowes. But I did get them off a rack, not off of a table - so maybe they were an odds/ends kind of thing.

I have seen lots and lots of the six-packs at Walmart for $1.68. Our Walmart had tons: choice of all red, all white, all pink or mixed.

Carol

Original Author
    10 years ago

Puglover, I don't mind your posting pictures at all! The more the merrier. :) Your pug and the mango both look delicious. :)

Sylvia, here is a photo of my dog, Spencer. I had him for 15 years but he went to the big dog park in the sky the summer of 2006. I miss him soooo much. He was a great dog - really sweet. I would love to get another dog and I will, when I have the time to take good care.

Carol

• whgille
    10 years ago

Carol, you are not going to believe it! Your Spencer is like my Angel twin, he also went to the dog park and I know how sad it is, I will never forget him, he was also so sweet.

Down memory lane, my garden in Arizona and my daughter, you have seen her before.

And my Angel...

Silvia

Original Author
    10 years ago

Sylvia, that is crazy! They look like they could have come from the same litter. Spencer had crazy-soft fur - like a mink coat - the softest I ever felt. But Angel looks like he was a lot smarter than Spencer... which was not very hard... there was nothin' going on between those ears... it was full of cobwebs... but he sure was sweet. :)

Carol

This post was edited by love_the_yard on Sat, Jun 8, 13 at 16:04

Original Author
    10 years ago

As you may have seen in my other recent post, I was able to overwinter all of my inexpensive begonia pots! Yay! Here are pictures of a couple of them; I have them all tucked in corners over the yard. The Dragonwing begonias overwintered nicely, too. I cut all of them back very hard in mid-to-late March and by mid-April, they look amazing.

I also made a new hanging basket for my front porch using my same cheap method: I purchased two 6-packs of Vinca minor (Periwinkle) at Walmart - one white, one pink - for $1.82 x 2 = $3.64 and filled a large hanging basket leftover from a prior year purchase for my front porch. Takes a little time and sweat but the price sure beats the $12-15 ready-to-gos. Can't get a picture today in all of the rain but will get one over the weekend and post it.

Carol in Jacksonville

• whgille
    10 years ago

Hi Carol

It is nice to see that you kept your begonias alive, my front yard has a new look now with everything growing and filling in. It will be good to start a thread on begonias, then I can show my inherited beauties.:)
    I just took some pictures now with the rain...

Silvia

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!