Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
One in twenty?

Posted by shear_stupidity 9B (My Page) on
Wed, May 8, 13 at 1:46

I had a bunch of Heliconia that did great last year (bought from HD in Aug)... One slow-moving sprout so far this year in the whole clump...

Also, my Adonidia palms seem to be not-dying-but-not-growing...
Is this normal...for these plants to be so late?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: One in twenty?

I don't think we really had a normal winter season... everything seems to be late for me.

o

Ok, well "good," I guess.
If ~your~ stuff is late, then I shouldn't panic.

It would really stink to lose the Heliconia...

And those Adonidias? Are they supposed to be doing ~nothing~ right now? I would think they'd be bursting forth with spring growth!

o

I wouldn't worry about the palm tree. If the growing shoot at the top of the crown is green, it's alive and growing.

Heliconias are tropical, so I wouldn't expect them to be happy until we have lows in the 70s and 99 percent relative humidity.

That also applies to your Christmas Palm.

o

Thanks!
I think my gardening impatience is the problem here. LOL!

o

This was my first winter as a gardener. I know it was a fairly uneventful one, but trust me Shear, you're not alone. Going into Fall, I purchased some Scarlet Fever Ginger, a few markdown heliconia and other assorted 'tropicals' that either haven't risen yet, or are only JUST starting to peek through the soil.

I was worried I'd managed to kill most of them because they declined during the winter, despite fairly moderate temps. In my case, it seems their adaption period cost them a head start on the spring season.

o

Our heliconias didn't go dormant this winter. After six or seven years with no flowers, we had a big crop of rostratas last year. It looks like a good season coming up. These are planted under a huge crepe myrtle that gives them some frost protection.

o

Mine were under the Live Oak canopy, in a large planter. After they died back, I cut the dead stuff off and put them in the ground.
Maybe I screwed up.

o

It'll be fine, Bridget. She has a well-established plant, yours hasn't even been in the ground a whole year, yet.

Post some pictures in August. I'll bet they'll be looking great.

o

Thanks, Jack. I'll do that! :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here