Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aharriedmom

Cabbage. Advice?

aharriedmom
10 years ago

I have too many pots of plants. I have way too many too-small pots of plants*, and not enough hours to prepare enough beds to get them in the ground.

I also have a cabbage that my 9yo son brought home from school and gave to me. I had little desire for a cabbage, but I feel an obligation to both son and the plant. It is surely rootbound in its 10-in pot. It dries out ridiculously fast. I have a few extra large pots that are (atm) empty, but I don't want to use one of my big pots for the cabbage.

I assume it should do okay in the ground (especially as my neighbor had one that was at least 2 years old and 4-feet tall until it blew over in a storm that took out one of her oaks), but is it too late to transplant? Should I just keep watering it 2x's a day in its too small pot? If I do stick it in the ground, can I bury the stem at all, or leave it at the same height it currently is?

The bane of my gardening existence: the plants that people bring me that I really don't love or want, but feel I must keep alive because how can I let them die or kill them without horrible feelings of guilt at being a plant-murderer?

* my volunteer torenia seedlings, sheesh, there are a bazillion of them in flats (recycled from other plants I've brought home). I've given away a ton. I've planted about 75-100. I want to run around and stick them all over the place in shady spots, but why aren't there more cool, shady hours in the day? And the various freebies that I picked up, because they were destined to die in a compost pile...

This post was edited by aharriedmom on Fri, May 31, 13 at 6:14

Comments (2)