Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
judyk_2008

Squash question

None of my squash or cukes are setting fruit. The plants look good but don't seem to be getting pollinated. There is a commercial grove across the lake from me and they have to spray regularly for greening. Does anyone know if this could be the reason? My plants are a hobby and their grove is their livelyhood so I am wondering if I'm collateral damage. I had a good crop last fall. Also, does parsley self sow like basil?

Comments (6)

• loufloralcityz9
    10 years ago

Every morning crack of dawn you will have to go out and hand pollinate the immature fruit blossoms because you don't seem to have bees doing the job. I've been hand pollinating my squash plants and I'm getting loads of fruit each day. The earlier they get hand pollinated in the mornings when the blossoms are freshly opened the more likely the hand pollination will take effect. If you look closely at the blossoms you will see two distinct different type blossoms. The female blossoms have a baby fruit attached, the male blossoms have a flower on a stem with no fruit. Pinch off the stem of the male blossom and remove it from the plant, then carefully remove all of the flower petal, this will leave you with a stem with a yellow fuzzy tip. Carefully rub the fuzzy yellow male tip to the orangey colored mass at the center of the female fruit blossom. Making buzzing noises like a bee is optional. Do this for every new female fruit blossom each morning and you will harvest beautiful squash and cukes from your plants. You may elect to use an artist paint brush to do the pollinating between the different flowers if you choose to do the job that way. Both ways work well.

NOTE;
    The chemicals the groves uses to combat the citrus greening may have caused the decline of the bee population in your immediate area.

Lou

• whgille
    10 years ago

Judik

Lou explained so well, so I don't have anything to add. My only suggestion would be for next season that you plant squash and cucumbers, plant the parthenocarpic varieties, for zucchini my favorite is cavili and for cucumbers corinto is a very good producer. This season I have both in large amounts and from only 1 zucchini plant and 1 container of cucumbers. I do have a lot of bees and they work on my other squash.

I have nasturtiums and borage next to my squash plants

Cucumbers are prolific and tasty! I made kimchi

Silvia

• ibarbidahl
    10 years ago

My only sage wisdom is to use the baby squash. There is nothing wrong with it! Leave a couple and try to hand pollinate, but 'tis the season for bug devestation (at least it has started here on my zucchini plants) and I can't let my fruit try to get larger any more. I either have immature squash the morning the flowers open, or I have to share with the worms.
    I'll take immature, thanks! Tastes just as good and keeps the plant going for now...until the bugs get even worse.

Good luck!

• judyk_2008 9a DeLeon Sprs. (NW Volusia)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all for your advise. I'm not sure if I have enough time in the morning for squash sex but I will give it a try. Fortunately I don't have neighbors to see me buzzing around. I wrote down the names of the varieties suggested to try in the fall. Sylvia it's not nice to tease. I really love squash.

• whgille
    10 years ago

Barbi, with all the rains that we had and the unpredictable weather, all the crops suffered and the bugs are more than in other times, the pickleworm arrived early this season so I had to keep on eye on the squash and cucumbers, planting earlier does help to battle the bugs, a BT dust worked better than the spray this time.

Judyk

Next time that you get the zucchini cavili growing, I will show you how to make the most delicious cream soup with them. It is so prolific that I made zucchini chips in the dehydrator and I am making more today, they are better than potato chips and healthy for you.

My corinto cucumber in a container today

Silvia

• ibarbidahl
    10 years ago

Silvia - It's the blasted pickleworm I'm having a problem with not the SVB - but you know now that I've said it one will fly in today and lay eggs. LOL. For now they are paying attention to the zucchini plants and they are taking it in stride, but the fruit is ruined. I guess a few ruined zuchhini is better than all ruined cucumbers - I don't even have my first pickle jar finished yet!
    Barbie~

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths