Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karalynn_gw

Lily bloom

KaraLynn
10 years ago

This lily bloom has been in the process of opening for the past 4 days and as you can see is still not all the way open! But it's still so pretty that I just had to share.

Comments (19)

• shear_stupidity
    10 years ago

Very pretty!

I see it's just as gloomy over by you as it is here. Nice to get a "break" from watering, but I miss puttering around out there!

I've had things in bud for days, and some for over a week. They're opening VERY slowly in this overcast grayness. I want the sun to pop out so my flowers can pop out!

Thanks for sharing!

• whgille
    10 years ago

Kara

That is a gorgeous bloom!

Silvia

• hester_2009
    10 years ago

Wow! Love it!
    Hester

• inulover (9A Inverness, Florida)
    10 years ago

I thought mine were done, but the rains seem to have brought out one more. This is a Blackberry Lily I received from last years garden party.

Larry

• KaraLynn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm so happy that I bought this on a whim one day at walmart! I don't always have the best luck with the plants that come in a bag but this one has thrived!

That blackberry lily should bloom all summer for you. I know mine do although they haven't started yet.

Kara

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    10 years ago

Kara and Larry, I like both of your lilies. Kara, is that an Asiatic Lily? I never had very good luck with them but I only tried them when I was a brand new gardener. One of the first plants I bought. Larry, is that a pass-along type plant? I have never seen it in any nursery. It is so sweet!

Carol in Jacksonville

• KaraLynn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I think I might be the one that gave the blackberry lily to Larry and I think I got my original plants from another gardener. They grow from seed pretty easy. Now that I think about it I can't remember if I've ever seen them for sale in my area.

I have no idea what type of lily is in the first pick. The plant came in a bag and had a name and picture on it but I manage to loose the name of course! A friend thought it looked like a tiger lily but I couldn't find a picture online of one with as many petals as mine have.

10 years ago

Kara, I think it is Lilium lancifolium 'Flore Pleno', commonly known as Double-Flowered Tiger Lily. It is a beauuuuuuty. I put a link to Google Images below - see what you think.

If by any chance you or Larry get any extra seeds from your Blackberry Lily, I would love a couple. I would be more than happy to send a self-addressed, stamped envelope to make things easy. I also have lots of amaryllis seeds or other things I could send in return.

Carol in Jacksonville

Here is a link that might be useful: Google Images - Double Tiger Lily

This post was edited by love_the_yard on Sun, May 5, 13 at 0:13

• katkin_gw
    10 years ago

I have the blackberry lily too and love that plant. It has a cousin the candy lily that comes in many colors. I have a few of those as well. They are great plants and grow from seed easily.

• inulover (9A Inverness, Florida)
    10 years ago

The Blackberry is from Kara. It has one of the venetian blind tags she uses. I got it from one of Silvia's parties last year.

It is an iris, despite it's common name. I planted all the seeds I collected last year, and the new blooms haven't ripened the new batch. I will be saving some, but maybe someone has something on hand. It seems to be a nice friendly little plant. It has doubled in a season in my partial shade, low water bed.

Larry

• KaraLynn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Carol, I have a whole bowl full of seeds from last year and would be happy to send you some. JUst send me an e-mail with your address. Thank you the ID on my lily.

Kara

• wordie89
    10 years ago

My Easter lilies haven't bloomed yet...seem to take longer and longer. Do you think they need fertilizer? I've never done that before.

10 years ago

Kara, thank you so much!! Yaaaaay! I sent you an email.

Carol

10 years ago

Kara -

I got your seeds and will start them today! Thank you so much!

I'm thinking for the future: How much sun do blackberry lilies need (once the seeds are germinated and plants are sturdy)? Do they need to be in fully sun?

Edit: I'm starting to laugh at myself... do you think I am counting my seeds before they hatch?

Carol

This post was edited by love_the_yard on Fri, May 10, 13 at 17:09

• KaraLynn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Your welcome! Most of mine are planted in the front bed where they get full sun most of the day. I have a few in back under an oak where they don't get anywhere near as much sun ( or water) and the ones in the sun bloom much better.

10 years ago

Kara, two seeds germinated! I was starting to worry about these guys because I have seen no action, so I am excited. All I need is one! I sowed the seeds on Friday, May 10 so they took 26 days. Kara, thank you again - I am going to really enjoy these!

Carol

10 years ago

Kara, I transplanted all my little blackberry lilies into the ground today. I have been waiting for the weather to turn a little bit cooler so I wouldn't shock them quite so much. With a few days of overcast clouds and rains, it seemed like the perfect time. The plants look great and happy. Thank you so much again!

Carol

10 years ago

Kara, I just have to let you know how great your blackberry lilies did through the winter! Of everything in my yard - and I have a lot of plants - of everything, they were one of the least affected by the very hard freezes we had this winter. They slowed down a little, but were the first things to get get going and are now about a foot and a half tall and starting to look full and closer to maturity. I am so excited... I hope I get blooms this year!

Carol in Jacksonville

• KaraLynn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mine did really well this year too. We had so few freezes that they had very little damage on their leaves. This year I'm having to thin them as they are starting to take over some parts of the garden. I'll take some of them to Silvia's garden party to share the wealth.