Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Garden bug patrol

Posted by bamboo_rabbit 9A Inverness FL (My Page) on
Tue, May 29, 12 at 8:42

The newest bug patrol members arrived yesterday. I have 5 female muscovy ducks and this nest nobody wanted to sit on so decided to incubate the eggs in my home build cabinet incubator. There were 25 eggs in the nest but 7 turned out not to be fertilized. Of the remaining 18 13 have hatched and are doing well. They really are a great asset to the garden.....they are voracious bug eaters that only really need feeding in the winter.

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Garden bug patrol

• Posted by katkin 9b/10a PSL,Fl (My Page) on
    Tue, May 29, 12 at 8:44

How cute!! I wish I could have ducks or chickens. :o)

o

Wills,

You are doing a fantastic job at incubating the quail and duck eggs in your home made incubator. The hatch rate you get from hatching abandoned nest eggs is amazing. Muscovy duck eggs are not easy to hatch in an incubator.

Lou

o

Sweetness! I wish I could have some! I think they are quieter than chickens and therefore more likely to get past my HOA -but they are larger and take more care so it's a catch 22 for me. Besides they don't lay as many eggs. LOL> we eat a LOT of eggs here.

Beauties you have there. Congrats!

Barbie

o

Awwwww, they are adorable. What an amazing thing you've done. Bravo!!

o

• Posted by whgille Oakland FL Zone 9B (My Page) on
    Tue, May 29, 12 at 18:18

They are so cute! Congratulations and I am sure they are a great asset in the garden.

Silvia

o

How wonderful!

o

that is so cool! we have the wild "wood ducks" here, live up in the big water oaks. had four babies skirting across the garden a few mornings ago. so weird seeing ducks so far up in those trees!

o

They are really cute! I just read about them yesterday! Not sure if they could out run or fly away from the loosed dogs that roam the neighborhood. Otherwise I'd probably get some. Do you haved to have a pond for them?

o

No pond needed for muscovies. Mine have no pond and I keep them fenced off from the lake I live on due to the alligators. They just need deepish drinking water containers so they can submerge their entire bill. They are almost completely silent, no quack from them at all just an excited breathy hiss noise.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here