Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is wrong with my blackberries? (pics included)

Posted by m5allen 9 (My Page) on
Thu, May 17, 12 at 9:08

My Natchez blackberry plant just does not seem to produce quality berries. I am not sure what I am doing wrong? This plant flowered fairly well in the beginning of spring, but the berries it produces are just not fully formed. You can see from the pics that only a few of the "bulbs" on the berry form, and the result is a tiny little mutant berry.

Can anyone help me out with this? It has been in a general potting mix amended with some pine bark fines. I fertilize every so often with liquid Miracle Gro. It gets sun for most of the day and I try to keep it watered, but not overwatered. It seems to have some nice new growth coming from the base of the plant, so I am not sure what is going on with the berry production?

I am pretty new to gardening, so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is wrong with my blackberries? (pics included)

I think it is just down to incomplete pollination.Do you notice any bees or other pollinators on the flowers(especially early morning)?I have literally hundreds of wild blackberry plants on my property(each year they pop up in new areas,as the birds drop the seeds in their droppings) & they are covered in pollinators,but I still get some berries that are not fully formed-they still taste great though.Have you considered planting in the ground & letting it spread?It will give you better fruit production & attract more pollinators.Hope this helps

o

Could it be stunted because of the small container? I have blackberries in the ground & the roots seem quite extensive - suckers pop up yards away from the main plants.

o

I agree with incomplete pollination. Your plants being situated right next to that wall the wind cannot help pollinate when the bees are inactive. My Natchez are grown inside my screen pool cage and get pollinated only by the wind and from a fan and the berries are full. My plants are also in pots while I am preparing a spot for them outdoors.

Lou

o

x3 on incomplete pollination.

o

• Posted by whgille Oakland FL Zone 9B (My Page) on
    Thu, May 17, 12 at 13:51

Hi m5allen

I have my blackberries planted next to a fence in my backyard, it only gets the water from a sprinkler twice a week, I think if you plant it in the ground they will do better for you, they are hardy. In another side of the yard, I have one with thorns that I am trying to kill it and it always pop back.

My blackberries today and I have been picking ripe fruit...

Photobucket

Silvia

o

Thanks for the help. Come to think of it, I really did not notice many bees around when my plants were flowering. Not sure why?

I would love to be able to plant most all of my plants in the ground, but we are renting and I plan to take everything with me when I leave. Someday I hope to be settled in somewhere and be able to plant in the ground.

I also have a native Sawtooth Blackberry and it is growing like a weed. It is thorny as heck, but I love this plant, it is almost maintenance free.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here