Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ibarbidahl

Bare root trees?

ibarbidahl
10 years ago

I need a recommendation for a nursery to buy bare root trees. I don't really have a preference for a mail order company or a local company, but I need probably in the neighborhood of 20 different fruit/nut trees. So cost is certainly a factor since I am buying so many. I am aware that this is not the time to buy these trees and that I will probably have to wait to purchase, but I need to start looking so- here I am.

Where or who is your go to for trees?

And, can I just say- IâÂÂm SO FREAKING EXCITED!!!! LOL. I canâÂÂt wait to see watch the orchard mature. :-D

WAHOO!!!

IâÂÂll also take some recommendations for North Florida landscape trees and bushes (blooming) that I can fit into the area as well because IâÂÂm sick of looking at pine trees and pecan trees as much as I love them. Since I have NO idea what will grow after a hard freeze IâÂÂll need help in this area.

Oh- and while I'm thinking about it nurseries can be from Sarasota up the coast to Alabama and over to Jacksonville. Also around Silvia because I tend to be over there about 4 or 5 times a year to see the in-laws. So I guess that makes it Midcentral Florida/Gulfcoast and North Florida from Tallahassee to Jax.

(WOW I'm long winded!)

Barbie~

Comments (8)

• thetradition
    10 years ago

I don't think they carry bare root trees, but "Just Fruits and Exotics" in Crawfordville (south of Tallahassee) is an absolutely wonderful nursery with high-quality container trees and the right varieties for north and central Florida. My work takes me to the Panhandle from time to time, and if I'm on the way home when they're open, I always take a detour to pick something up. It's worth the drive...

• bamboo_rabbit
    10 years ago

I have been to Just fruits also and it is a great place. I would suggest Bluestar in Hawthorne Florida also. Like you said though wrong time of the year for bareroot.

• ibarbidahl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I don't mind wrong time of year. This give me plenty of time for research. These trees will be for the property we have in South Alabama. I have a lot of work to do to get the orchard area ready for this fall.

Right now we have about a dozen pecan trees that are about 50 years old a mature plum tree and native blackberries that I will remove in favor of thornless varieties later, but for now I"ll leave the wild varieties as they are easier to maintain while we are only up there 4-5 times a year.

This property is why I am starting the project of rooting new blueberry plants and pomegranates as well. I'm hoping to take those with me from here.

We should be pouring the foundation of our retirement home in the next 5 years and then taking another 5-6 years to complete the home ourselves and move. Of course this is all big IFS and depends on the sale of our second house. We just went into a lease option and we are hopeful everything will work out. Then once the retirement house is complete we'll sell our home that we are in now and move up there as our homestead. It's 115 acres+

Um... you didn't ask any of that...did ya? :-D

• thetradition
    10 years ago

I would seek out nurseries in the area where you're building your house. Talk to people in the community and find out who's reputable. Then visit with those folks and talk about ordering the trees you want. You're more likely to get the right varieties (and at the right time) for planting for your area.

• ibarbidahl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

THere is a nice nursery in the area, about 20 miles away and they do get in bare root trees. But, they don't have any online capabilities and we can't get up there reliably when they have their trees in. Sometimes they get them in the falla nd sometimes spring - and that of course varies on ship dates from their suppliers.

• thetradition
    10 years ago

Well, whatever you do, stay away from those internet retailers that feature ridiculous photoshops of weirdly large fruit hanging from trees, often with scantily-clad women (or what appears to be a mentally-challenged young man) as models. The interwebs are filled with complaints about those outfits in their many different entities. Even if it means starting later than you intended, buying quality, correctly-labeled trees will give you a leg up on your orchard in the long run.

• ibarbidahl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

LOL. No, not going there. I know what a bare-root tree looks like and it ain't purty. Anyone who advertises beautiful trees shipped to you is a crock. ;-)

• bamboo_rabbit
    10 years ago

No we didn't ask:) But you are excited about it and the planning is a lot of fun:)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!