Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
'Periwinkle'/ Vinca

Posted by susieq07 10 (My Page) on
Fri, May 7, 10 at 9:49

Anyone remember "Periwinkle" the Fl. wild flower growing all over, sent dh out to buy some, and he could not find them, he finally asked a clerk, and she said oh yes, we have them, they are now called "Vinca's" say what? sure enough the name has been changed probably so they can actually get a price for a plant that grows wild all over...LOL
Thought this was amusing, and wanted to share, live here in FL. 30 years and I know they were always called "Periwinkle" now the lil tag inserted say's "Vinca"

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 'Periwinkle'/ Vinca

sure enough the name has been changed probably so they can actually get a price for a plant that grows wild all over...LOL

That is a good theory :)

Vinca is a genus of six species (wiki). The one you are likely referring to is Vinca Rosea

Genus: Vinca
Species: rosea
Common names: Madagascar periwinkle

http://www.crescentbloom.com/Plants/Specimen/VI/Vinca rosea.htm

Mystery solved - the store is using the correct Lain/scientific name as opposed to the common name :)

o

• Posted by cjc45 9 Mount Dora FL (My Page) on
    Fri, May 7, 10 at 15:14

They've gone by both names as long as I can remember. When I'm trying to think of the name of the color, my mind always calls up "vinca" first, then I can remember "periwinkle." Funny how brains work.

o

But! What the Big Box stores carry are a Hybred. Periwinkles are the wild ones that self seed, the Hybreds don't.

o

The hybrids I have bought at Lowes re-seed but not the same color, and I like the volunteers better. They're bigger and taller - not just mounds. Unfortunately, the really hard freezes we had killed them for good this winter. They have not come back.

Sherry

o

I have them all over my flower beds. They re-seed everywhere. I have many different colors. I only planted a couple of plants several years ago and now have a bunch, love them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Vinca colors

o

Well purslane/portulaca, and lantana grow wild all over Fl.too, but are still called...purslane/portulaca and lantana...soooooooo? it's not nice to confuse old people.. lol P.S. the tag said:
Vinca
(cora)

o

I call them periwinkles too. Never can remember to call them vincas.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here