Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My biggest tomato ever!

Posted by apapjim 9A/B (My Page) on
Fri, May 10, 13 at 10:11

It's a Monomakh's Hat from seed Sylvia gave me at last fall's garden party. It weighs around two pounds. Those are Big Beefs lined up with it. I did nothing special (I think Sylvia put a spell on the seeds). In fact it is a poor looking plant with thin scraggly foliage with only 9 tomatoes, none of the others approaching this size. I'll report on taste later.

Papa Jim

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My biggest tomato ever!

Those are beautiful. None of my Better Boys are ripe yet. I have one that's exceptionally-sized though. I'll send a picture when it's ripe if nothing happens to it before then.

I'm swimming in SuperSweet 100 cherry tomatoes. Can't eat them fast enough to keep up with production.

o

• Posted by whgille Oakland FL Zone 9B (My Page) on
    Fri, May 10, 13 at 14:07

Hi Papa Jim

I have some close to two pounds also, they have great flavor! eat them while firm to the touch and pink, they are my favorite for sandwiches and tomato sauce because they are so meaty. They are early to ripen and the foliage on the oxhearts is always wispy like that, some seasons they produce better than others.

My M Hat tomato

photo May2013_029_zps4db0473a.jpg

I made barley/tomato risotto with feta cheese with just one tomato, the are that big.:)

photo May2013_032_zpsd7db6d00.jpg

Silvia

o

Very meaty tomato but not quiet as good tasting as the Brandywines or Big Beefs. But this is just our first one. I'll reserve judgment till the crop is in.

Sylvia: Had our first mess of pole beans that you suggested we try in our second "tomato" house. Absolutely delicious. Found out we need to reduce our cooking time from what we use for store bought.

o

• Posted by whgille Oakland FL Zone 9B (My Page) on
    Sun, May 12, 13 at 7:16

Papa Jim, I am also growing the oxheart Kosovo this season and I am very happy with the flavor and production. I like a strain of Brandywine from Monticello but sometimes is a good producer and sometimes is not, I planted this season yellow Brandywine and have not seen any ripe yet and only have few fruit in the vine. Big Beef is always a reliable producer and when it ripens on the vine has a good flavor.
When I visited Tom's garden the Beefmaster where producing really well compared to the others, he was also growing Indigo Rose and he said he liked the flavor, the vines are strong and produce well.

I just love the taste of fresh beans and my dogs too, we are eating them daily, like you said they only take minutes to prepare and they are delicious!

We are working on the bananas this week, taking the bunches down and preserving for later, they really have a knockout flavor, nothing like the store bought, the only but is that they are a lot of work.

Silvia

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here