Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tumblingtomatoes

kale question please??????

tumblingtomatoes
14 years ago

HI,

I was wondering about Kale? Would it grow in Florida? I am guessing it would have to be during our fall/winter? I see several types but wonder which are easy, smaller sized & would do well here? Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks everyone! Have a great day! :)

Comments (10)

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    14 years ago

Hi & oh yes! I have 'dinosaur' kale (Nero) growing right now - I started it back in the Fall. I only have 3 plants, but that's more than enough for hubby & me = )

IME, growing broccoli & kale & even cabbage is dead easy - depending on variety, of course.

Have you checked out the University of FL's veggie growing guide yet? I find the planting dates very helpful - & they recommend varieties as well...

Here is a link that might be useful: Vegetable Gardening Guide

• tumblingtomatoes
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Carolb & Linda, I'm gonna look up the link you attached Carol & will check back for cultivars you suggest as well Linda! Thanks!

• fishead199
    14 years ago

Kale fits right in there with chard,kohlrabi and brussel sprouts. It likes cool weather but can be grown here. Look out for the worms.

• an_ill-mannered_ache
    14 years ago

i've grown lacinato (dinosaur) and redbor. both of them are very tasty, very prolific, very easy and very pretty. though they grow best in the cooler months, they'll last through the hot season if you care to keep them (i never do). i yank them out as soon as the whiteflies show up in the worst of the heat and humidity.

plant them three or four weeks before the rainy season ends.

• tumblingtomatoes
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thanks everyone, for the info, tell me more about the worms though???? What should I look for? Big worms, small ones? I am sooo new to this....LOL
    my kids think the tuscan kale looks 'cool', interesting leaves....I think I'll try that one in fall/winter- glad I posted this message! :) Have a great weekend!

• scents_from_heaven
    14 years ago

For a dwarf variety I like the blue curled but my all time favorite is the Russian Red which ha a woderful flavor. It is definitely best to sow this vegetable in October or so because of th issue with worms etc. It will over summer but will be bitter. I like to think of it as a winter only crop. I have attached a link to the site where I purchase my seeds from and hey also give good information. If I can assist you any further please do not hesitate to ask or send a private email. Linda

I also adore the large curly leafed mustard

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    14 years ago

Russian Red is so beautiful! I grew it in the past, but I think the 'dinosaur' (Lacinato) kale is tastier.

The little green 'worms' are moth caterpillars I believe & only show up when the weather gets too hot & stressful & then I know that crop is done....

• scents_from_heaven
    14 years ago

I forgot the link and yes you are correct on the worms and that is why it is a cold weather crop as is mustad, collards, turnips, rape, etc

Here is a link that might be useful: seeds

• tumblingtomatoes
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh, thanks for the info, I have seen this seed co site once before, for tomatoes but hadn't ordered before from them, prices are good & lots of selection so I might try them out for the kale.
    Thanks for the tips & suggestions, I appreciate it lots! I think we'll plant as you said in colder weather & give it a try. I hear how healthy it is & can't help but wonder how it tastes.
    Have a great afternoon! :)