Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crystalmoon1979

New gardener,bed preperation help

crystalmoon1979
9 years ago

Hello all,I am new here at Garden Web and new to gardening.I have been doing lots of research and have a great gardening book but there is so much info to absorb.I am in Central Fl. zone 9b which also makes things a bit more challenging.I am starting small w/ a raised 4x6 bed.I want to amend the soil but there is just so much info out there,it gets a little confusing. I was curious as to what folks here would suggest,considering Fl. is a different climate.I learned last night that several bags of the same compost should never be used.For instance,I should use 1 poultry manure,1 beef manure,1 mushroom and so on but I have such a little bed for now,I don't need this much compost.Should I just grab a couple bags of Mel's Mix and mix that into my existing soil since it is a smaller bed?Or should I just get 1 or 2 different composts and a brick of peat moss to mix into the existinf soil?What if I am unable to find Mel's Mix in my area,any suggestions on preparing my bed for late summer seed sowing?Can I plant some seeds in July like tomatoes,peppers and okra to start? Do Fl. gardens need to be covered to protect them from the heat and sun,I have mine in a location that's shady in the morning then gets full sun for the rest of the day.It's facing West and it's against the fence.I can use all of the help I can get.It's greatly appreciated.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting