Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Salvia guaranitica "Black and Blue" - Thug?

Posted by tomncath St.Pete-Z10A-Heat 10 (My Page) on
Sun, May 25, 14 at 10:49

I purchased a few of these to put in the garden to attract hummers, I have read some negative reviews though that this one can take over and be rather invasive. For those of you here in Florida that have it can you share your experience with me please.

Tom

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Salvia guaranitica "Black and Blue" - Thug?

Not invasive for me, Tom, and I have two that both returned from the normal-for-us, freeze-back-to-the-roots. It may be a different case for those of you who do not have hard freezes. It gets about three feet tall at the tips and maybe around 2 1/2 feet wide at the very top. The blue is one of those close-to-purple blues. Very, very dark and deep purply-blue.

EDIT: In the interest of fairness, I should add that these were new for me last year. So I am only on my second gardening season with them. Perhaps I will have a different answer next year or the year after? But they definitely do not reseed... and it did not take over anything like the lantana camara did... that had to go and I ripped out every single bit of it even though it was hardy and reliable... man, lantana camara will own a bed, LOL.

Carol

This post was edited by love_the_yard on Sun, May 25, 14 at 11:14

o

I don't know if they would be called a thug lol but I do have several now (like 12) where there used to be two in the back yard a few yrs ago. Last summer, I planted a few out front and now there is 5. One is pretty far away from where I planted the others so perhaps it reseeded? I like them and I like the smell of the foliage as well so I don't mind. They don't seem to spread as bad as weeds.
I have a red salvia that does reseed itself everywhere and even into flower pots and hitchhikes around the yard that way. Much more prolific than the Black and Blue one.

~SJN

o

Tom,
I've had two in my planter boxes off my deck for two years and yes, they do reseed but easy to control. the best part is sitting with my coffee while hummers feed just three feet from me!
You won't be dissapointed.
Hester

o

So that's two out of three so I guess they do reseed! Somewhere along the line, I thought I had read that B&B was a sterile hybrid but I'm sure I am wrong. Mine has not reseeded so far, but I will be happy when it does. Cool!

Carol

o

• Posted by tomncath St.Pete-Z10A-Heat 10 (My Page) on
    Mon, May 26, 14 at 10:57

Thanks folks, good enough for me, two go into the yard today and one in a planter :-)

Tom

o

I have these plants and they are excellent for hummingbirds. They will reseed, but not aggressively. On the hummingbird forum they are considered possibly the number one salvia for hummingbirds.

They will grow in lots of different light conditions, from fairly deep shade to full sun. Like most salvias they like well-drained, fairly rich soil, but will survive in many different soils. Clearly, if they are in full sun they will need a lot more water or they wilt.

o

Tue, May 27, 14 at 12:57

...Clearly, if they are in full sun they will need a lot more water or they wilt.

Thanks Tom, one is in direct sun all day so I'll keep an eye on it, for now I've covered it with a tomato cage and small laundry hamper to prevent sunscald and wilt. The other is in filtered morning sun and shade in the afternoon, it is also covered for now since we're really not getting much cloud cover yet. The last one got potted up in a terra cotta pot and is in full shade, but the area is very bright due to sun reflecting off the adjacent concrete...I may just keep potting it up so I can move it around to see where it gives us the best hummer views.

Tom

o

Tom, you are pretty inventive, so what you have may be superior, but thought you might like to see the link to a shade cage, below. Yeah, a shade cage! That's what you call a tomato cage with a laundry basket on top. :)

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: Easy Shade cage

This post was edited by love_the_yard on Tue, May 27, 14 at 15:43

o

Tue, May 27, 14 at 19:24

Carol, CYE.

Tom

o

The roots run underground & come up, got rid of mine it was taking over the whole bed. It has a large root system. Cold kills it but it comes back from the root.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here