Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gatormomx2

yellow rat snake

gatormomx2
14 years ago

Found one trying to sun itself in my driveway this morning . Beautiful large snake - probably four feet long and bigger around than a garden hose .

Use this link to see great photos !

Here is a link that might be useful: yellow rat snake

Comments (15)

• butterflygardener
    14 years ago

Lucky you! They are beautiful and so beneficial!
    Kat

• manature
    14 years ago

Congratulations! They are one of my favorite snakes. And a 4-footer is a nice size, too. For those who don't know, the yellow rat snake is the 2nd largest non-venomous snake in the U.S., I believe. Only exceeded by the Indigo, if my memory serves me right. They can get very large. In the 8 foot range, or larger at times. But typically any more, the 4 to 5 foot length is what you tend to find in an adult.

They are constrictors and eat lots of rodents among other things. And they are excellent climbers, going straight up tree trunks with ease.

Wish I had one at this house, Mary. We had a resident YRS at our last house, and I miss him. But so far, I've only seen black racers and garter snakes at this house.

Marcia

• gatormomx2
    Original Author
    14 years ago

We have lots of snakes on our property . Combine grain and cows and you get mice and rats and luckliy - birds of prey and snakes to control the rodents . Nice balance .

I thought I had seen a Blue lined Florida garter snake but turns out there is no such thing . I could have sworn I had read about this being a rare Florida snake . Guess it was just a regular Florida garter snake . Still-- a very pretty snake with blue colors .

Below is a link to a really interesting photo gallery of several Florida snakes . This was posted by a person who was visiting from Michigan for Spring Break just recently .

Here is a link that might be useful: A Week in Florida

• manature
    14 years ago

You were right the first time, Mary...only it is called a "blue-striped garter snake." It is a color variant of the eastern garter snake and is more common farther south than here, but I HAVE seen them in central Florida. Very turquoise in coloration, and quite pretty. Here is a link to a photo. Hope it works.

I'll be checking out the link you posted shortly.

Marcia

Here is a link that might be useful:

• manature
    14 years ago

The eastern garter snake is Thamnophis sirtalis, and the bluer variation is Thamnophis sirtalis sirtalis. Sometimes even the eastern garter snake has a bit of blue to it.

Marcia

• gatormomx2
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you Marcia . Always nice to know I am not really losing my mind - yet .
    Yes , that's the pretty blue snake that I very seldom see . Small snake that seems shy . Quite striking to see and just as bright blue as the photo .
    It's always a good day when I get to see a snake ! Makes my heart glad to see that my snakie friends have survived a very rough winter .

• manature
    14 years ago

It makes my heart glad, too, Mary. Though I confess, even as much as I love them, there is always that first split second, when something in me shivers slightly. I feel like Emily Dickinson in her lovely poem about snakes:

"A narrow fellow in the grass
    Occasionally rides;
    You may have met him,--did you not,
    His notice sudden is.

The grass divides as with a comb,
    A spotted shaft is seen;
    And then it closes at your feet
    And opens further on.

He likes a boggy acre,
    A floor too cool for corn.
    Yet when a child, and barefoot,
    I more than once, at morn,

Have passed, I thought, a whip-lash
    Unbraiding in the sun,--
    When, stooping to secure it,
    It wrinkled, and was gone.

Several of nature's people
    I know, and they know me;
    I feel for them a transport
    Of cordiality;

But never met this fellow,
    Attended or alone,
    Without a tighter breathing,
    And zero at the bone."

It's that "zero at the bone" I feel for a moment when I spy one slipping through the grass. A great description.

Marcia

• coffeemom
    14 years ago

gatormom, the link was a great read.thanks

marcia, has anyone ever written a poem about seeing a snake and doing the screaming, jumping potty dance?

• manature
    14 years ago

Just this one:

When in the garden I hap to spy,
    A narrow creature sliding by,
    With plenty of scales,
    But nary a leg,
    Then your pardon I must beg,
    For such a sighting,
    Even by chance,
    Will certainly cause
    The potty dance!

.....by Ma Nature

• manature
    14 years ago

Bumping this up just for Kristi!
    *grin*

Marcia

• gatormomx2
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wow ! Our very talented Marcia is a poet too !
    I am very impressed .
    Love your poem .
    I'll be on the lookout for more snakes tomorrow .
    Here snakie, snakie !

• manature
    14 years ago

Hahaha...I think Emily Dickinson's reputation is safe. No competition from my doggerel! But sometimes I can't help myself, and Kristi SO set me up for that one!

Let us know if you see any more snakies, slipping through the garden!

Marcia

• mokikat
    14 years ago

We just saw a yellow rat snake a few weeks ago. The snake had caught a rat. Glad to have them around.

• coffeemom
    14 years ago

Bawhahahahahah LMAO!
    thanks Marcia. You could've warned me.I would've worn Depends!

kristi... wiping lemonade off the computer screen and checking for leaks.

• manature
    14 years ago

Heheheh...my work here is done!

Marcia