Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
More photos from my yard

Posted by love_the_yard z9A Jax FL (My Page) on
Sat, May 10, 14 at 11:38

The front planters held on pretty well through the winter. I boosted them with a few more pentas, as they did the best last year, to replace the coleus which did not do well, despite daily watering. And yes, Hester, that big, pink, monster cane begonia came from you! It will get some attention from me today. It is so pretty and has so much potential if I will just give it a little more love.

photo IMG_4066Large.jpg

photo IMG_4067Large.jpg

I have Crown of Thorns in pots all over - so easily rooted from cuttings. All of these came from cuttings. Here are some on the front porch and there are also some more in the planter in the first photo above. Thinking about giving these a hard cut-back to get some fullness. It always takes a brave pair of clippers to do that, though:
 photo IMG_4065Large.jpg

The Nun's Orchids were outstanding this year. Well, compared to last. Those stems will be rooted today. We've got that down now, don't we Morningloree? And there is my vinca hanging basket. Will be a few more weeks before it looks like "anything", lol.
 photo IMG_4064Large.jpg

Crinum Ellen Bosanquet has put up her first flowers with many more scapes right behind:
 photo IMG_4072Large.jpg

A newly purchased Lantana 'Anne Marie'. It a dwarf variety and supposed to be smaller and better-behaved. It has been since potted up:
 photo IMG_4018Large.jpg

Salvia greggii x Karwinskii 'Riverside sage':
 photo IMG_4027Large.jpg

Broms under the magnolia tree (better placement than under the oak - at least I can pick the leaves out). Photos taken after the rain last week which makes all broms look like they're ready for the prom:
 photo IMG_4050Large.jpg

photo IMG_4049Large.jpg

photo IMG_4039Large.jpg

Gary, here is the bed with the bird's nest fern. There are actually three in there - all in pots, in the photo. I put all three in the ground yesterday. Notice the pink polkadot all over in there - all freeeeeee:

photo IMG_4051Large.jpg

photo IMG_4052Large.jpg

photo IMG_4053Large.jpg

And this angle shows one of the Abyssinian bananas which is in the same bed. Redbud trees and dogwood trees all came as tiny 6" seedlings from Mom's:

photo IMG_4054Large.jpg

Have lots of space I need to fill in here. I lost tons of salvias this past winter but that is a story for another day:
 photo IMG_4069Large.jpg

Brugs are coming back from the roots. An Easter lily gift from Mom last year is getting ready to bust out its blooms. The Canary Island Date Palm, which I purchased as a wee mini thing for $6.99 a million years ago, is in the back and starting to look like "something":
 photo IMG_4055Large.jpg

Here's the same bed from the other side:
 photo IMG_4059Large.jpg

A broad view across it all (holding my breath):
 photo IMG_4060Large.jpg

Starting to realize a mistake, here. I was sure this was Xanadu when I bought it. It had such cute tiny leaves:
 photo IMG_4062Large.jpg

The cuttings nursery is underway. Have to put something new in that big, empty, used-to-be-salvia bed:
 photo IMG_4073Large.jpg

Purple martins have returned and are so busy-busy-busy with nest-building:
 photo IMG_4068Large.jpg

photo IMG_4070Large.jpg

SJN, here's a photo of the smallest of my Abyssinian bananas for you. Most of the brown spots will be filled with caladium when they finish coming up.
 photo IMG_4042Large.jpg

Have a great weekend in the yard, all my gardening friends!

Carol in Jacksonville

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: More photos from my yard

Wow Wow Wow!!! Love your enthusiasm... And the yard is wonderful, too.

Veronica

o

• Posted by whgille Oakland FL Zone 9B (My Page) on
    Sat, May 10, 14 at 21:57

Carol, beautiful! Ditto what Veronica said. Your garden shows your dedication.

Silvia

o

hi
can see that you are a collector also . The BN ferns are pretty tough and your soil appears to be far better than mine.. Have no trouble growing them in pots and have never tried in the ground. Tried for years to get them to grow epi but can't them past attachment.
fantastic garden but you need far more variety?? lol gary

o

Carol!!!
So much to look at...you must spend all your time working and it's worth it.
The begonia looks great - mine get a little wilted also, and I just cut them back. I'm postiing a pic of the cuttings I just stuck in the ground last year.
 photo IMG_0943.jpg

They are without a doubt, my favorite plant. Aside from broms
and yours look great.
All for now,
Hester

o

You have a lovely garden Carol :) Broms are my favorite to Hester :)

o

Wow, what a spread! Thanks for sharing!

o

Hester, hard to believe those begonias are from cuttings stuck last year. They are great plants, aren't they?! Beautiful photo!

Carol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here