Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vegasqueen

Desert rose

vegasqueen
10 years ago

Thank you Tom for this beautiful desert rose.. Received the seeds from you at Silvia's garden party in 2011.. It took 2 years to produce these beautiful flowers.. It was so worth the wait..

Comments (8)

• whgille
    10 years ago

Congratulations Maxine, it looks beautiful!

I am sure that Tom will see the good news when he comes back from the Bahamas...

Silvia

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    10 years ago

Vqueen, how pretty! I'm always impressed when you can get that far from seed! I hope you don't mind - I rotated your photo and reposted.

You might want to lift your adenium to expose the caudex. For adenium, the interest feature is not so much the flowers as it is the caudex, or root system. Adenium should be lifted an inch or more every year to expose more and more root above the soil of the surface. See link below for more info.

Carol in Jacksonville

Here is a link that might be useful: A Baby from Tom's Desert Rose

• vegasqueen
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Carol thanks for all your advice.. should I lift the adenium now or wait? So much shared info on "a baby from Tom' s desert rose"
    Susie do you have any recent pics of yours?
    Silvia ..Tom will be happy to know that he is a dad/grandpa again.. Lol

10 years ago

I would lift it now. Expose about 1". Adenium are tough and they can actually survive lifted with NO soil or water for months on end, so there is no reason at all not to do it now. In fact, I would do it again in August or September. A cool caudex is just so "wow"! Take a look at the photos below! And if you get really interested, Google how to braid and twist the roots!

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: Google Images - Adenium Caudex

10 years ago

There are lots of great "how-to" videos on YouTube, too. See link below.

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: YouTube videos on adenium

• vegasqueen
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Went ahead and lifted it up.....

• vegasqueen
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's a full picture

10 years ago

Fantastic! It looks perfect! I don't see any, but if you ever get the really small, thin roots, most of the experts say to just trim those off.

Does this plant live outside or inside? They do love full sun. Maybe you brought it inside just for the photo?

Carol