Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daviedearest

need some help with correct exposure for tibouchina

Davie Robinson
9 years ago

Hi, j Just purchased a beautiful tibouchina (live in S.W. Fla-Cape Coral) and have gotten conflicting info re: what exposure this plant is needing. Anyone out there have any good info for me before I plant?

Comments (8)

• fawnridge (Ricky)
    9 years ago

All of them grow best with either morning or afternoon sun. Midday sun will require LOTS of water. Plant them in a good, fast-draining organic soil.

• starryrider
    9 years ago

Mine is on the southside of the house and does well there

• garyfla_gw
    9 years ago

Hi
    Do you happen to know what variety ?? there are over 200 species and at least an equal # of hybrids.
    I bought one on a whim for 3 bucks at a farmers market 2 years ago planted in my "sand has grown from a bit over a foot to over 6 has developed browning ,curling leaves though it doesn't interfere with flowering.
    One of the best in my neighborhood is growing street side in full western sun!!! said they used an acid fertilizer
    so I'm giving that a shot. good luck gary

• Davie Robinson
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the great feedback. Problem being I also bought from a farmers market upstate & no name . Now I'm hearing they can grow into large trees which scares the heck out of me.Can't beleive the one in full western sun is thriving.May try in pot on lanai, so can move easily, follow the sun & monitor....again thanks for all the help.Coming orig. from upstate N.Y.to Fla. Couldn't do it without you guys & these forums....many thanks......Davie

• garyfla_gw
    9 years ago

Hi
    What I do is watch particular plants that interest me in my neighborhood. to which are doing best. That one facing west always catches my eye as it's runaway the best. Planted in front of a house that faces west facing a four lane street so from before noon to sunset it's full blazing sun lol planted with dwarf poicianna with a hedge of jasmine in front on a hill with improved soil.
    i asked the owners and of course they did not know which specie but I suspect a hybrid cultivar as the flowers are over 5 inches and very deep purple. smaller less fuzzy leaves . around 10 feet both ways , i know it to be over 20 so obviously stable Only care given besides occasional water was an acid fertilizer
    largest in my neighborhood at around 15 feet both ways while mine flowers profusely neither the size nor quality of this one .
    Your learning the first rule of florida gardening when in doubt put it in a pot lol the flaw to that is you end up with 500 pots lol good luck gary

• Davie Robinson
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Gary, I love your idea of "stalking" the neighborhood.
    I've been attempting a cottage garden & find I am starting to run out of room. The garden is in front of the house with a southern exposure, bought "the princess" with the idea of using her in the S.W. boarder. Do you think she'll "fry" there come summer or should I go back to my orig. "pot" idea, put her there & give it a try?(really need to invest in a hand tuck as she's pretty good size) afraid she'll grow into a tree (well there goes my shade problem.......... Davie

• garyfla_gw
    9 years ago

Hi
    well, IME they are a shrub rather than a tree. I do know they are very amendable to pruning and the usual varieties are very adaptable as to sun exposure. i'd go ahead and plant it the way I wanted and see what happens??
    i came up with a "landscape " plan around 4 years ago
    even a color scheme and I do see some progress a LONG way to go!! lol I recently gave away 100 plants and brought home 25 and 3 actually fit into my plan lol
    "cottage garden" not much room for impulse buys there?? lol. My original theme was "How many can I cram into the area until I get cited by the city??"lol
    good luck gary

• Tiffan
    9 years ago

I am in Houston and bought my dwarf princess flower from Eden nursery out of upper Louisiana, I think. I first planted her on the south side, and I almost lost the poor plant to complete toast! I relocated her again to another shadier sport, still on the south, and she didn't like it. I originally got her for the showyness of the deep purple/blue flowers, and so I put her on the north side of the house, but just short of the the point where the sunlight peeks over the house, so it's bright reflected light. Holy moly, what growth!!! quadrupled in size, and I'm bummed that it's a "dwarf." Still a lovely plant. The fuzzy leaves are a perfect partner to the culinary sage bush on the other side of the sidewalk..

If anyone knows of a larger tibouchina available from a nursery, please post!

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals