Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wildmutt

winds and hurricanes and big garden structures

wildmutt
11 years ago

I am putting an 8 foot tall by 13 inch diameter base obelisk trellis in the front garden about 4 ft from the house for Mandevilla and Jasmine.

I want to secure it for regular wind but be able to take it out for a hurricane; I take all the warnings seriously after Andrew.

I read about someone using rebar to stake it (although I have no clue how to bend rebar or cut it).

Any thoughts besides "are you a moron?"

Thanks,

Gina

Comments (7)

• ladywingr
    11 years ago

I sunk galvanized pipe a size larger than my trellis legs into the ground a foot to two feet, leaving about 6 inches above ground. The trellis framework slides down into the galvanized pipe. Used nylon zip ties to hold the framework together. In the event of a storm, I can detach the vines, lower them to the ground, snip the zip ties, and lift the frames out of the pipe support and store them in the garage. I am am going to use the same procedure to make tomato supports this fall.

Terri

• katkin_gw
    11 years ago

Gina, I laughed so hard at your post. You are too cute. :o)

Terri has a good idea. I do something simlar, attach things to rebar driven in the ground with tie wraps.

• SusieQsie_Fla
    11 years ago

I thought that was funny, too ---
    No, you're not a moron! !

It seems like Denise posted something with instructions on how to use rebar - she bent it with two-by-fours in her driveway. I just did a search and it looks like it was several years ago - my how time flies!

Anyways, we built a temporary greenhouse for the winter and put the 2x2 uprights into sunken 2" diameter PVC pipe. I can't remember how deep they were pounded into the ground. The idea was to secure it in the winds, but be able to take it down in the summer. Then the pipes would stay in the ground for the next winter. I would think that would work for the legs of your obelisk. The galvanized pipes would be even better!

Let us know how it comes out. Sometimes when we have the foresight and go to all the trouble to prepare for a hurricane, the season goes by without one.

Susie

• tinael01
    11 years ago

I want photos!!!! Can you guys show me your trellises?

• tomncath
    11 years ago

Do you know how difficult it will be to take it out every year just because a big-blow is coming? Once you have mature vines growing on it you're going to have a HUGEcolor> task on your hands.... Put it in with something that can withstand hurricanes and be done with it, once...8 footers only, so you have 2' below ground ;-)

Tom

• derbyka
    11 years ago

I built two trellises for veggies out of painted electrical conduit and CRF panels. The panels are zip-tied to the frame. I then fit them over rebar like everyone else was talking about. It was for a community garden plot so I wanted something I can transport and take with me later. In case of a hurricane, the frames could just be lifted off the rebar. Or, they could be dismantled further by cutting the zip-ties and unscrewing the joints in a matter of minutes. I think this plan should work great for veggies. But like Tom said, if you have some kind of perennial vine, it would be a big pain. I learned this first hand when I had maintenance workers at my apartment complex chainsawed the top off of an arbor I had built out of bamboo for a passion flower. Taking the vine off of the rest of the arbor, dismantling, and reassembling it took forever. Here are some pics of the trellises. Home depot cut the conduit into the lengths I needed to match the panels. Designs I had read about called for 2 feet of rebar but I had to use 4 foot ones for the sandy soil. I had to drive it in almost 3 feet before it seemed super secure.

• wildmutt
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Tom, that is most definitely a maximun security facility you have there.

Is there a watchtower with a rotating searchlight and armed guards for varmints?