Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
love_the_yard

Free Pink Amaryllis Seeds

I grow hundreds of amaryllis/hippeastrum and I am swimming in fresh seeds. I would love to give them away to anyone that wants to try them. Just send me a self-addressed, stamped envelope.

I have been growing amaryllis since about 2006 and do all my own crosses, so these are not named bulbs. They are all some shade of pink - either hot pink, dark pink or salmon pink. Some have a green throat and some are pure pink to the center.

The seed pods were huge this year and the seeds are very fresh and big. I have about 75 seedlings from last year that I still haven't planted, so I can't use these.

The seeds are easy to start. Just lay them on top of moist soil, cover them with about 1/4 inch of soil, keep moist and place in full/part sun. (If you don't cover them with a little bit of soil, place them out of the wind because they will blow away easily.) Then watch them grow!

If you are interested, please send me an email and I will send you my address. Just send me a regular self-addressed, stamped envelope. The seeds are flat and can easily be mailed in a regular envelope. A padded envelope is not necessary.

Link to send me an email is below.

Carol in Jacksonville

Here is a link that might be useful: Send me an email

This post was edited by love_the_yard on Sun, May 26, 13 at 12:03

Comments (112)

• aharriedmom
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

^^ They won't be able to wash away, but they could possibly move around if we get a hard rain and destroy my attempt at organization.

Thanks, I think I will cover them with something if it looks like we'll get a hard rain and not worry about them with the lighter rains we're getting.

I do think it rained pretty hard last night, iirc after being woken from sleep, but when I checked them there didn't seem to be much movement of mix in the container. But better safe than disorganized, lol.

• marcia_m
    10 years ago

Carol, I received your seeds today. Thank you for taking the time to share them.
    Marcia

• sun_worshiper
    10 years ago

Maggie and Linda your envelopes will go out in tomorrow's mail.

• meg_w (9b) Bradenton
    10 years ago

Carol and Sun_Worshiper, thanks for the seeds. They arrived today, safe and dry, despite the tropical storm. Just in time since I a have tomorrow off I'll be able to start playing with them right away. I can't wait for the morning.

Meg

• mocropot
    10 years ago

Thank you sun_worshiper! It really looks great in your landscaping. Is it a sun/shade plant? It looks,from your picture,
    like it is getting some sun.
    Also would like to ask if you still have some seeds to share?

• jane__ny
    10 years ago

My seeds arrived today in the middle of the storm. They are safe and sound waiting to be planted this weekend.

Thank you so much,

Jane

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I am so happy everyone is enjoying their seeds! Khadijah, Susannah and Maxine, your seeds went out today. :) -Carol

• marcia_m
    10 years ago

Sun worshipper, I received your seeds today. Thank you again for sharing them.
    Marcia

• sun_worshiper
    10 years ago

Glad everyone's seeds are arriving safely.

mocropot, the leopard plant is a mostly shade plant. It will grow in full shade, likes dappled light best, and will tolerate part sun. If it gets too much sun for its liking it will wilt until the sun moves off of it. Mine is under the canopy of a large oak and gets direct sun from about 4-6pm. On the hottest days, it does wilt some when in the direct sun. But the wilting goes away an hour or two after the sun goes down.

I do still have more seeds to share - can't believe how many pods I collected this year! Upwards of 50 naughty lady pods!

Khadijah and Cindy, your seeds will go out tomorrow.

• khatwoman
    10 years ago

Carol, the seeds arrived today safely. Thank you so very much. I can't wait to plant them!

• mocropot
    10 years ago

Sun_worshiper Thank you so much for all the info. It is very helpful to hear from you then from sales people in the store, they usually give a wrong information.

How can I get several of your seeds to try?

Original Author
    10 years ago

Mocropot, I think you are asking Sun_worshiper, but just in case you are not, I still have plenty of seeds. (Yikes that was a lot of seeds!) Just send me an email so that I can send you my mailing address. Or do the same to Sun_worshiper if you are wanting some of hers.

Carol

• sun_worshiper
    10 years ago

Yep, ditto what Carol said.

• ckjudd
    10 years ago

Watching for them with anticipation. Thanks Angela.

Have my container and tags made up ready to plant. Looking forward to trying them both in the beds and in the container.

Thanks again to Carol and Angela for your generasity.

Cindy

• mocropot
    10 years ago

Carol and Angela I emailed you.
    Carol you are such a sweetheart, Thank you for all your help on this forum. I noticed all your help ( pictures and posts) were right on time when we needed.

• sun_worshiper
    10 years ago

mocropot, I got your email, but your settings don't allow me to reply back. On your profile page you need to enable sharing your email with other gardenweb members. Or post your email here like you've seen others do, spacing it out so bots don't detect it and spam you.

• Linda_Brookes
    10 years ago

Thank you sun_worshiper, my other seeds arrived today :)

• mocropot
    10 years ago

Sun_worshiper and Carol I updated my profile and just in case the email is marta2ru at yahoo

Thank you sun_worshiper for advising me.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Everyone! I'm out of seeds. I'm holding the last of them for Mocropot, Roni, and any other envelopes I receive in the next day or two that haven't made it here yet.

Mocropot, you should have email from me. Please let me know if you don't receive it.

My, your seeds went out today. Thank you so much for the seeds that you sent! Keeping my fingers crossed that I can make them grow.

Happy gardening, everyone! :)
    Carol

This post was edited by love_the_yard on Tue, Jun 11, 13 at 9:17

• khatwoman
    10 years ago

sun_worshipper, I received the seeds today! Thank you so much for sharing!

• sun_worshiper
    10 years ago

I've send my address to everyone who has contacted me, and reserved seeds for you. I am now out of seeds too. Happy growing everyone!

• ckjudd
    10 years ago

Angela the seeds arrived on Mon. Sorry for the delay in response....grand kids are visiting for the week before they head to Ohio for the month of July. Granddaughter is going to help me plant them all tomorrow. Thanks again
    Cindy

• aharriedmom
    10 years ago

I HAVE SEEDLINGS! Five of them. Three are from Carol's seeds, and two are the Naughty Lady. I don't see any of the others yet, but there were none visible yesterday.

HURRAY!

(I took pictures when I thought there were just two, but then my son & I found three more, so I won't post a bunch of pictures of tiny green spouts)

• sun_worshiper
    10 years ago

Nice job!

Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow, that is great! They germinate unbelievably fast when fresh - like within a week, some of them. Even when old, they usually germinate within 2-3 weeks. Great going! It's also amazing how fast those guys develop little bulbs that look like pearl onions. They are so teeny-tiny cute!

Carol

• swimchik77
    9 years ago

Carol,

I know that it's a year later, but do you have any seeds to spare this year? My email is susanna_hat10 at hotmail dot com. I would really appreciate them!

Original Author
    9 years ago

Susanna, I will not be doing a seed distribution this year but, God willing, I am planning to do it again next year. :)

Happy gardening,
    Carol

• meg_w (9b) Bradenton
    7 years ago

First blooms! This is one from the "Naughty Lady" seeds planted 3 years ago. I have some plants from the others but, no blooms yet. Maybe next year. My growing conditions are not optimal so I am not disappointed.

• dirtygardener73
    7 years ago

Beautiful! I have some similar to that which I grew from seeds last year. They still have a way to go until they have blooms, but they multiply so fast!

• Cody Z
    7 years ago

I'm glad this thread was brought back, I'll try collecting seeds from mine that are blooming.

• Theresa
    7 years ago

Hello I'm new to the GardenWeb and I found this post. Just wondering if anyone has amaryllis seeds to share this year? I had several different kinds a few years ago but have been through a lot including losing all my plants I had. I'm interested in amaryllis, and also if anyone has any other interesting house or garden plant seeds. I'm going through a period where I'm trying to find myself again, and gardening was a large part of my life at one time. My home was so full of plants it looked like a jungle. I miss my African violets too. Any help is much appreciated. I'm not sure how this works or how someone can contact me. I'm just reaching out hoping for someone to share a little love...

• dirtygardener73
    7 years ago

tea4maddy, make sure you have messaging turned on in your profile so people can contact you. I may have some red seeds this year, but never sure they will set seed. I know what it's like to lose all your plants. If you go to the seed exchange, they can be very generous to those starting over. Also, try the plant exchange.

• Theresa
    7 years ago

Thank you dirtygardener73. Please let me know if you have any seeds when it's time and I can send Sase Or stamps. I'll check some places you mentioned too. My email is set up so folks can contacts. Spent a good few hours here yesterday trying to figure things out.

Original Author
    7 years ago

Tea, there should be lots of seeds in about 1.5-2 months. Blooms are just starting to come up, pretty much everywhere in the country. Once the bloom is opened and then pollinated, it takes around thirty days for seed pods to fully develop. We're usually looking at late April and then May when seeds become available. (Note that my post and photos above were in late May.) Good luck! They are lots of fun!

Carol

• helenrey38
    6 years ago

Hello, I am new to this site , I really do not know how to use it, I saw your post from a few years ago about free pink/fuchsia amaryllis seeds. Was wondering if you will have some available this year and How I can email you, the link provided does not work.

Thank you

helen

Original Author
    6 years ago

Hi Helen,

Welcome to the Gardenweb site! Where in Florida are you located? What kind of plants do you like to grow?

Happy gardening!

Carol

• Cody Z
    6 years ago

Any tips on labeling Amaryllis plants in the ground? I have a bunch planted together and once they lose their flowers I have no idea which pods are for which type. I was thinking tape on the shoots but guess I'll have to do that next year.

Original Author
    6 years ago

Hi Helen,

I love to grow plumies and brugs, too. Even though you're from Texas, please pop in here any time! Your growing conditions aren't very different than ours. I go to the Gardening in Texas forum just about every day and they're pretty nice to me over there. ;)

I just harvested a fresh seed pod from one of these lovelies that now has your name on it:

As far as I know, the link at the top does work. Once you are
    on my page, make sure you are still logged in - (if you are not, you
    won't be able to message) - I often have to re-log in before messaging
    someone - once you are logged in, click the white "Message" in my
    banner.

Carol

Original Author
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Cody, to me, the best plant markers ever are the homemade ones made from aluminum soda/beer cans because they last FOREVER. I don't care what else you use - milk jugs, pieces of old blinds, etc, etc, they don't last in Florida sun. But these do.

Using the point of a sharp steak knife and being very, VERY careful, punch a hole in the side of the can close to one end. Once you have a hole, carefully (carefully!) slide your scissors inside and cut off that end.. Then cut straight down the side of the can and cut off the other end.

Now unroll and smooth out the entire can's side into a flat piece of aluminum. Cut it into long strips, about an inch wide. You can usually get about 6-7 strips from one can.

Using a ballpoint pen and putting the aluminum strip on something padded like a magazine, write the name of the plant on the unpainted side (what used to be the inside) of the aluminum strip. I usually write the month and year, too, in the format MM/YY. Doesn't matter if the pen even works - you don't need any ink to actually come out - you are just creating an impression in the aluminum.

If you are putting the tag in the yard, you will want to punch a hole in one end (any paper hole puncher will do this, believe it or not) and then using about 12-15" of heavy gauge stiff wire, loop the wire through the hole , curve it around on a needle-nose pliers, leaving the long end to stake in the ground.

I only use these tags in pots, now, so I completely skip the wire part. So no hole is necessary for me, either. I slide the aluminum tag along the inside wall of the pot/container until only about 1/4" is visible.

Did I say the aluminum tag will last FOREVER?

I'll post a photo later on.

Ask questions if you don't understand my instructions.

Good luck!

Carol

• Cody Z
    6 years ago

Thanks Carol! I start using Aluminum!

Original Author
    6 years ago

Cody,

Here's some photos:

About every five years, I take five or ten aluminum cans and make a new pack of strips that will last me for a long, long time, as I only use them in potted plants. When those run out, I make a new pack.

The sample one above only has a hole in it because at one time I used to put the tags hanging on wire stakes in my pots. They make too much noise for me when the wind blows and I like my current method much, much better.

As you can see, the one above is from 2011. Heck, you can still see the ink (even though you don't need the ink).

Carol

Original Author
    6 years ago

I just remembered - I punch the very first hole - very, very carefully - using the point of a steak knife, NOT a scissors. I just remembered that.

Original Author
    6 years ago

<h1 style="color:red;">I am so sorry, but I do not have any more seeds to share for this
    year (2017). I have promised all of the rest to my neighbors so they are spoken
    for. Please, no more seed requests. Please do not be offended if I do not reply
    to Houzz messages asking for amaryllis seeds.
    </h1>

Carol

• Theresa
    6 years ago

Hi Cody and DirtyGardener, I'm still waiting to see if anyone has amaryllis seeds that set this year. I posted a couple months ago but they weren't ready yet...if anyone has any I'd really appreciate them. Carol I'm only sorry you don't have any more this year. Perhaps next year if they set, you wouldn't mind setting some aside for me? I'm still looking and waiting afraid I won't find any this year. Perhaps nobody has any. Thanks to everyone...

Theresa

Original Author
    6 years ago

Theresa, I didn't realize you were still around. So many times people come here just for the free seeds or whatever and then we don't ever see them again. Send me a Houzz message - I'll send you some seeds!

Carol

• Jane Shaw
    6 years ago

What I your address?

• Theresa
    6 years ago

Thanks ladies i will message you! :)))

• Theresa
    6 years ago

Jane it looks like you don't have mail set up with Houzz...would you email me and I'll send you my address I'd rather not post it all publicly. tmrsfinds at msn dot com

Original Author
    6 years ago

I HAVE NO MORE SEEDS. PLEASE DO NOT ASK. PLEASE DO NOT EXPECT ME TO ANSWER HOUZZ EMAILS ASKING FOR AMARYLLIS SEEDS.

ALL: THIS THREAD IS CLOSED. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE - I'M BEGGING YOU - START YOUR OWN NEW THREAD SO THAT THIS MESSAGE STAYS RIGHT HERE AT THE BOTTOM WHERE IT WILL BE NOTICED AND READ.

Thanks, everyone!

Carol

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio