Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Moving Crinums

Posted by inulover none (My Page) on
Tue, May 7, 13 at 12:15

I have seral crinums scattered around. They may have made sense to the PO, but I want to move some. Will I destroy them if I do it now? Should I split up the clumps, or just dig it up and move it?

Larry

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Moving Crinums

• Posted by karalynn z9 FL, Inverness, Ci (My Page) on
    Tue, May 7, 13 at 13:00

You can move a crinum any time of the year except when expecting a freeze. The plants may be difficult to dig up though as some mature crinums have very large bulbs with extensive root systems. Don't worry about damaging the roots though as they will regrow just like any other type of bulb.

o

Just make sure to dig deep enough to get the bottom 'plate' of the bulb(the part the roots come out of); they won't grow w/o it...

o

Hi,
I just moved mine and they adjusted, no problem. I dug a deep enough hole to unearth them pretty intact. I took the opportunity to remove some babies, then put them in their new home. No wilting or signs of stress. I did water with Miracle Grow right after. I moved two medium sized Queen Emmas. I hear Ellen Bosenquat does not transplant easily, though.

o

• Posted by karalynn z9 FL, Inverness, Ci (My Page) on
    Thu, May 9, 13 at 8:49

Ellen B. transplant just fine. The problem is getting the mature plants out of the ground first! They can have soccer ball sized bulbs with the thickest root system I've ever seen. I've heard of people having to bring in backhoes in order to get mature clumps of Ellen Bosenquets out of the ground. I know that I can't budge mom's established patch of mature EBs!

Kara

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here