Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Check This Sweet Corn...Thanks Richard!

Posted by cfldoc 9 Clermont FL (My Page) on
Mon, May 23, 11 at 12:47

While I had tried spinosad to control the army worms in the past, Richard's advice to reapply after any rain or overhead watering really seems to be the key. So far our corn seems to be almost pest free. By the way, this sandy soil really needs added nitrogen and water to grow corn. Hoping to get a decent crop in a little while. Thanks for the tip Richard!
Sweet Corn 5/23/11

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Check This Sweet Corn...Thanks Richard!

Wow, that is some nice looking corn there! Hope it bares lots of corn for you.

o

• Posted by cfldoc 9 Clermont FL (My Page) on
    Sat, Jun 18, 11 at 19:30

Well, I guess with some effort you CAN grow sweet corn here. Our little patch is in full production right now and the ears are looking pretty nice. Can't say I recommend this particular variety though (Sundance).....not "corny" enough for my tastes. Would like to know what varieties others here like, so any suggestions appreciated. I am encouraged, and we will likely try some other variety a little later this year.
Photobucket

o

While looking on the UF site for an answer I learned that Florida is now the largest producer of fresh-market sweet corn in the US- crops valued at $100 million! Guess those UF scientists really know their stuff!

This link has extensive details on growing corn commercially. It lists varieties as well.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sweet Corn Production in Florida

o

I tried to grow corn, but got alot of worms in it. What kind of spinosad did you use and where did you get it? I grew Kandy Korn kind.

o

grew up farming in illinois....."knee high by the fourth of july!" my corn here took a crap and died around may.....:)

o

• Posted by cfldoc 9 Clermont FL (My Page) on
    Sat, Jun 18, 11 at 21:25

Irish Trails Feed and Pet Supply Clermont
Photobucket

o

Thank you Richard.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here