Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anybody near Port Saint Lucie have a feijoa/pineapple guava?

Posted by slopfrog PSL (My Page) on
Sun, May 5, 13 at 12:48

After several years of watching my sad, lonely feijoa make flowers (quite tasty, BTW) but never any fruit, I'm pretty darn sure this one isn't self fertile! Does anybody in the Port Saint Lucie/Stuart area also have a feijoa that is blooming? Maybe we can swap some pollen and finally taste this fruit!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anybody near Port Saint Lucie have a feijoa/pineapple guava?

I have 3 plants and even if not self fertile no fruit. The animals steal the flowers. LOL. I finally gave up and started eating the flowers, too. They are pretty yummy. Eventually maybe they will fruit. If not I have some snacks while i'm in the yard. *shrug* My shrubs are now 5 1/2 ft tall and I planted them 2 or 3 years ago. I have strawberry guavas too so if they needed cross pollination they would have that. Go figure. Maybe it's just a maturity thing or maybe just a timing issue.

??

Barbie~

o

I live in Highlands County and have 2 Pineapple Guava. One is an almost 7 year old tree that blooms a LOT every year and have had only one or 2 fruits ever!! I have another one ( a bush) that gives me fruits every year (though not a lot)...I can't figure out why the large tree has never set fruits? I have even hand pollinated them and still NOTHING!! Now, I just grow it for its beautiful blooms...

o

Close up of the blooms...

o

The bush that has fruited for me...

o

Picky dang bushes! I looked a little more in depth at the TYPES of feijoa and only one of them said anything about not pollinating well by itself.
Guess we all got that one type. HA! Good thing that the plant is hardy and not bad to look at all by itself or we'd give up on them.

Like I said I've taken to eating the blossoms so at least I can say the plants give me something. :-D

o

The blossoms remind me of marshmallows. But I hear the fruit is really good.

Of course, they said the same about strawberry guavas, and I ended up giving mine away because I thought they were so terrible!

o

Same problem here, I bought 2 different varieties, so they would cross pollinate. However, I did not take into consideration that they bloom at different times!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here