Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pagoda Clerodendrum paniculatum question

Posted by crueltyfre Tampa 9a heat 10 s (My Page) on
Sat, May 5, 12 at 13:14

I have one of these and it wilts every afternoon. It's in full sun (for those familiar with my yard it's in the back corner by the gardenia's and beauty berry). The sprinklers are on once a week and the other plants in that area seem fine with that watering schedule.

I'm not sure if this is a sun issue or a watering one. Everything I see online about it says it's a full sun plant. But the fact that it only wilts in the afternoon tells me it's too much sun.

I then started watering it with the hose in-between sprinklers, and that didn't seem to help and is killing the texas sage next to it.

Do you think it needs more shade or more water?
Lori

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pagoda Clerodendrum paniculatum question

I've got a Red Pagoda Flower, Clerodendrum speciosissimum, (one of my "invasive" plants). It wilts in the sun but always looks fine the next morning. I've got a number of plants that do this including the Belize Sage, firespikes, and Dwarf Powderpuffs. I wouldn't worry about wilting unless it's wilted before the sun hits it. Watering for the Texas Sage may be adequate for the Clerodendrum. That said, most of my plants that wilt in the sun do great in shadier locations.

Here is a link that might be useful: Clerodendrum speciosissimum

o

Yep, that's what it's doing, wilting in the afternoon, fine in the morning. I got pink and purple firespikes from you a few years back and had them in the exact same spot and they did the exact same thing. So I moved them to more shade and they stopped wilting. But everything I read on the pagoda says full sun, which is why I haven't moved it. Guess I'll treat it like the firespikes. Thanks,
Lori

o

• Posted by annafl z9b/10a Sarasota (My Page) on
    Sun, May 6, 12 at 14:31

I have a cluster in filtered shade and another in half day sun. The ones in filtered shade look best and don't wilt like the others, although they both get about same watering with sprinklers. I don't think water is the problem as they have very long tap roots. Sun is what make mine wilt.

I control mine by pulling them out when they are about 6-12 inches high and after a rain (otherwise they break off).

Anna

o

Our red lady papaya has started wilting in the PM. At first we thought it was lack of water, but as soon as it catches some shade (after four) it is fine till the next afternoon. Thinking about moving it to a spot with earlier afternoon shade. The 25 gallon containers, like the one it is in, are fairly easy to move.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here