Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thonotorose

Garden pics

thonotorose
12 years ago

These are from the last few months. Please ignore the time and date stamp. Can't seem to correct it.

Marcheal Neil... spring bloom, good fragrance and a terribly thorny monster. Will be either moving him or taking him out this year.

Cowabunga! or rather horsebunga. Got one load only then my source dried up, so to speak.

There is a perched hummer just right and near the top of the rebar.

Won this babe at the Central Florida Antiques Rose Society raffle. Mystic Shaman?

I've mentioned before that I live in a canyon of trees. Real rough on the sun lovers. I set the intention that some of them would come down. This giant pine branch was hit by lightening and is now down. The main sun garden is now quite a bit larger.

Comments (13)

• annafl
    12 years ago

Wow! What I would give for that load of gold! What is the name of that beautiful iris?

Anna

• thonotorose
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Anna,

That is a day lily. I think it was labeled Mystic Shaman.

Veronica

• CorpsmanCooper
    12 years ago

Looks nice! I don't envy the person that had to drive that van! HAHAHA!

• stuartwanda
    12 years ago

You must have had an odifferouse (sp) ride, but I like the smell myself.

• saldut
    12 years ago

Hi Veronica - I had my eye on that Daylily also at the Heritage Rose Meeting, but Calvin and I each won a dozen eggs! delish.... looking forward to the meetings when they start again this Fall, sally

• annafl
    12 years ago

Veronica, I see it now. It is beautiful, and quite unusual for a daylily, or an iris! Thanks for the id. By the way, I saw my first hummingbird today and thought of you and your picture. Usually I get a few in early spring and a few late summer, but I've never seen any at this time of the year, so I was really happy.

What lucky plants are going to get that wonderful looking horse poopy?

Anna

• User
    12 years ago

never count on your gardens staying the same, total canopy here ten or so years ago, now alot of filtered sun and growing things i never imagined would do well here....i really enjoy the evolution of this place....take pictures and then go back and look......horse poop major on the bamboo last year....lost my source.....): three dogs, one cat.....no horse.....

• thonotorose
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I drove the poop home AND loaded a lot of it. The horse owner took pity on me and pitched in. The smell wasn't too bad, but it sure burned my eyes. Only had to drive it about 2 miles.

I used it to make two very nice rose beds for Cl Devoniensis, Clytemnestra, Reve D'or and more in one. The other is the dooryard bed and has mostly thornless; Crepuscle, Miss Atwood, Marie Daily and a sickly Heritage.

I love those raffles too, Sally.

Anna, we are getting hummers almost everyday. I think they are Rufus. Did see a ruby throat in late winter for about a nanosecond. We were just thrilled when that one perched. Never saw that before.

• wanna_run_faster
    12 years ago

Awesome canopy! Marchael Neil is beautiful...I absolutely love yellow (and pink!), it's a shame it's so thorny. Do you have belinda's dream? I would love to see a picture of the whole plant if anyone has one :)

• whgille
    12 years ago

Hi Veronica

Very interesting pictures, nature at its best! love the color on the day lily.

Silvia

• sherryocala
    12 years ago

Veronica, love seeing where you garden. I can see the prickles on Marichal Niel in your photo. He's pretty bad. Was your horse manure fresh? Mine doesn't usually smell. The roses love it. Hope you find another source, and I'm glad you have more sun now.

Here is a link that might be useful: If only sweat were irrigation...

• imagardener2
    12 years ago

Veronica

Marechal Niel is certainly a beautiful rose but ouch looks mean with those long armed thorns.
    Speaking of manure I'm trying to figure which vehicle to drive some home in, his or mine, found a free source just 5 miles away on craigslist.
    thanks for the photos.

Denise

• bonniebrennan
    12 years ago

Marechal Neil does have cruel thorns.The strong,sweet fruity perfume,that fantastic color and the beautiful quartered shape make up for the thorns.There's no rose even remotely like it.I actually got two for my former home and I'm hoping to get one for my new place.Please reconsider sacrificing anything so incredible.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022