Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dogwoods and Redbuds

Posted by love_the_yard z9A Jax FL (My Page) on
Sat, May 10, 14 at 13:51

In Florida, dogwoods and redbud trees grow best as understory trees. They don't do well in direct, hot sun where they easily stress. They are happier in shifting, dappled shade and sunlight under taller trees. I have seven that all came from tiny 6" seedlings from under my mother's trees about four years ago. They are still too small to bloom but in a few more years, I hope they are pretty.

June 2010, after a couple of months in the ground. The garden was oh-so-young but I had to get my bones in first:
 photo IMG_2258Large.jpg

photo IMG_2259Large.jpg

March 2011:
 photo IMG_2904Large.jpg

April 2012:
 photo IMG_0181Large.jpg

May 2013:
 photo IMG_2401Large.jpg

May 2014, along with Redbud #2 across the path behind it:
 photo IMG_4156Large.jpg

Redbud #3:
 photo IMG_4148Large.jpg

Redbud #4. Kara/karalynn, those are your blackberry lilies -from seed! - just below it. I'm gonna get blooms this year, I hope, I hope, I hope:
 photo IMG_4151Large.jpg

Dogwood #1:
 photo IMG_4147Large.jpg

Dogwood #2:
 photo IMG_4149Large.jpg

Dogwood #3:
 photo IMG_4150Large.jpg

Carol in Jacksonville

Awwww... so cute...
 photo 100_1605Large.jpg

This post was edited by love_the_yard on Sat, May 10, 14 at 13:53

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dogwoods and Redbuds

You're inspiring me to pursue some dogwood. Do blackberry lilies (which I do have) need certain age to bloom or only lucky temperatures/rainfall?

o

Hi Irma,

Yes, you should do it! If you know anyone with dogwood, they are very likely to have seedlings all around the base. If you move them by lifting roots and soil together, they transplant very easily with little-to-no shock. The standard "water in well" applies for a couple of weeks. I can't remember for certain but I don't think I showed these much extra love after a short acclimation period. Dogwoods and redbuds do great in the shade of taller trees (or planted on the east side of a tall building).

I don't know the answer to the blackberry lilies question. Mine came from seed that Karalynn sent me last summer. This is their first full season as grown plants. I must say, they sailed through winter and a low of 23.5 without protection and without blinking. Some websites say that the bloom time is July through fall but I don't know if age, temp and/or water are required to get them going. When mine bloom, I will post pictures. (I was gonna say "if" but I'm willing them on!)

Carol

o

Walmart in Jacksonville has redbud trees for $9.99. They are about 4-5' tall.

Carol

This post was edited by love_the_yard on Mon, May 12, 14 at 22:22

o

Good luck with your plantings looks like they are getting along well. My father had a nice dogwood at his house that had been planted by the previous owner...that was in the Plant City area.

I tried redbuds a few years back. I planted 3 and one died each year for 3 years :-(. But I didn't know that they were understory plants so that might have been the issue especially since I'm on the boarder line zone wise.

again...good luck and happy growing.

o

Oh, Laura, I'm so sorry you lost your trees. Redbuds are easily susceptible to pests and disease. I think if you grow them in shade they may have a better chance? I love them for both their blooms and their heart-shaped leaves. I meant to get a picture this past spring when the new leaves came out but I missed it. There were all these tiny little lime-green hearts strung up and down the branches like dew drops. They were so cute!

Below is a link to the University of Florida info.

The Walmart trees are pretty affordable. The hard part might be planting the root ball between the roots of a bigger tree. (That is the beauty of starting with seedlings!)

If you get one, please post a picture.

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: Eastern Redbud

o

Blackberry lilies are certainly hardy & prolific here - they've formed dense clumps & reseeded in various locations around my yard - I have to pull the seedlings like weeds now. Super easy to transplant as well.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here