Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gcmastiffs

Katuk

gcmastiffs
16 years ago

Lady gave me this last year. It is a nifty plant with tasty little flowers.

Anyone else growing it?

Lisa

Comments (11)

• wanda662
    16 years ago

Oh my gosh! Is that a black snake in that bush?
    Never heard of it but it looks great with out the snake.
    Does it have fruit also?

• gcmastiffs
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Not a snake, it is commercial tree-tie material. So sorry for the scare!

I have not tried the leaves or shoots, but I sure like the flowers..

From the ECHO website:

Katuk - Sauropus androgynu

Katuk, a delicious hot weather green vegetable, is one of the staple vegetables in Borneo. It has become one of the favorite salad greens of the staff at ECHO, and is used either cooked or raw for its nutritious leaves and shoots. The unique flavor of these leaves is most similar to peanuts. It grows very well in Florida. Katuk is disease and pest resistant, tolerates most soils, and grows in sun or shade. For the best tender shoots and leaves, grow Katuk in half shade and fertilize frequently. This shrub should be kept pruned to 3 to 6 feet since it tends to grow straight up until it falls over. It grows very slowly during cool weather, and can be killed back by a frost or freeze but grows back from the ground and may regrow bushier than before.
    Lisa

• solstice98
    16 years ago

Lisa,
    You are truly the Queen of "edibles I never heard of before"! This is a fascinating plant and the flowers are pretty, whether you can eat them or not.

In a recent post you said something about the 5 types of patio mangos you had. Ha! Most people would be happy with one and you have 5! You are my hero.

Kate

• gcmastiffs
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Kate, shhhhh, listen carefully, don't tell anyone...

If you buy Dwarf plants you can get MORE varieties(G). At least that is my excuse...

Oh, and with different ripening times, you can extend the harvest... Hmm, what else can I think up? Oh yeah, it is easier to spray and trim small trees.

Plus, they are so cute!

And I don't know how anyone can resist the descriptions of the Condo Mangos on the PI and Fairchild websites.. That is some creative writing!!!

Lisa

• ariel73
    16 years ago

Lady gave me one a few years ago and I killed it. Seeing yours makes me want to get another one.

• treefrog_fl
    16 years ago

Wow, I didn't realize the flowers are that adorable!
    Lady just gave me one at the swap. It's still a baby, so I'll baby it for a while.
    What a wonderful addition to my garden!
    Thanks, Lady.

• cindeea
    16 years ago

I love the flowers, lisa!

• Lady
    16 years ago

Glad to see others enjoying katuk, it is one of my favorites. It is such an easy care plant requiring no spraying or anything other than to prune it when it looks a little top heavy. The new shoots are also very good. I like them raw and in stir fry.

• jupiterplants
    16 years ago

Lisa......... since you can eat it, I want some !

• msmarion
    16 years ago

I want some too!