Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to plant peach tree?

Posted by JenniferinFL 9B Florida (My Page) on
Thu, May 9, 13 at 14:09

So, I'm used to digging a hole 2-3 times the size of the pot and then filling in the hole with a combo of spent mushroom compost and some of the sand I dug out. But, before I stick the peaches I impulse bought into the ground, what do you guys do?

I caught myself right before planting them and noticed that they're growing in sand in the pots they came in, so, hmm...

It makes me happy that Lowe's doesn't usually carry all that much I must have, or I would be broke as I work there and have to walk through the garden center regularly. But, spotted that they actually had Florida Prince peaches and picked up two.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to plant peach tree?

Jennifer,

It would have been best to plant them 2+ months ago but that ship has sailed. My preferred method is to rinse as much of the soil off the rootball as possible and put the tree in the native sand with zero soil amendments. Once in and watered well mulch the tree 6" deep in a circle 6+ feet across.

If you amend heavily the roots like to stay in the original planting hole. In the native sand they will range out and that is what you want. The heavy mulch (I use wood chips) is crucial as it keeps the circle cool and moist which aids root growth. It may seem silly to mulch a tiny tree in a circle 6 feet across (I go 10 feet right off the bat) but the roots will expand fast and as the wood rots it makes nice soil.

The reason for not wanting the original mix on the tree is it is normally potting type soil but once you put the tree in the ground the sand tends to wick the water out of the mix and you just end up with a tree that is constantly dry. It is just easier to start it out in the soil that will be home.

o

Wow, I somehow manage to be two months late with pretty much everything. Which is why I only have 8" tall tomato plants right now.

I will plant without amendments then and mulch heavy. What caught my attention about these ones when I went to plant them earlier was that instead of potting mix they had sand in the pot with what looks like pine chip mulch. It looked like the sand in my yard which is what caused me to stop right there and ask how to plant them.. lol

I'm sure these are pretty rootbound too as the pots are just bulging.

o

Jennifer, don't think of yourself as two months late - think of yourself as ten months early! With Bamboo's advice, I bet your tree will do great and you'll be eating delicious peaches in no time. :)

Carol in Jacksonville

o

If they are rootbound you will have to do something about that. Score the rootball or? You will have to play it by ear when they come out of the pot.

o

They actually ended up not being that badly rootbound, I loosened em up a bit, but, they weren't as bad as some stuff I've seen. So far so good, though I think it would probably take awhile for a tree to look stressed by transplant. So, here's hoping for some peaches next year. :)

o

Peaches impress me with just how fast they grow.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here