Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
vegetable growing under shade cloth

Posted by violet55 Central FL (My Page) on
Wed, May 13, 09 at 14:22

Hi! I'm growing my first vegetable garden using the Square Foot method. As our temps have already been in the 90's, I'm considering growing under shade cloth. I currently have beets, summer squash, green onions, cherry tomatoes and plum tomatoes, cucumbers, green beans, bell & banana peppers. My black seed lettuce and swiss chard are suffering - going bitter. I'm unsure whether to cover my whole garden with 40% shade cloth or whether to just cover the lettuces. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: vegetable growing under shade cloth

I'm only growing Tomatoes and Okra right now, so I'm not much help. But I heard the Okra loves sun, so they are getting the full brunt of the sun...my tomatoes have been under shade cloth(actually I'm using burlap), I had the thin frost cloth, but has since ripped apart from extreme UV rays?I've had them under them for at least 5 weeks or so. It is doing so much better since, they are not wilting as much and are ripening now. I would think they would all benefit from some shade during the hottest afternoon sun? Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here