Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New Florida Beekeeping Law?

Posted by brute Florida 9B (My Page) on
Sat, May 5, 12 at 14:31

I've heard there is going to be a new law going into effect July 1st in Florida called the "Right To Farm Act".
From what I hear, this law allows the State to supercede all local ordinances against beekeeping in residential areas. Me and Sarasota County Code Enforcement have been going round and round on this issue for years.
This looks like my chance to finally start a couple of hives on my property. My neighbors all support me.
There have been times when I've seen no bees for months at a time, yet my fruit trees and vegetable plants are covered with flowers, just begging to be pollinized.
At those times, all my hopes lie with the nocturnal activities of moths.
I'm studying the art of beekeeping as fast as I can, and by July I should pretty much know what to buy and where to find it.
Anybody else here planning to take the plunge?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New Florida Beekeeping Law?

I have no law here preventing me from raising them and they have been on my to do list for some time now. Hopefully soon as I finish a few ongoing projects.

o

I'm so torn!! We have a lot of rentals and we've had problems with agressive bees on several occasions. While I want to support the bees, I worry every time I walk past the 4-H club that the bees there have been africanized and I will be a target. I know - the stuff of my nightmares. I watched that movie - was it the Bees or the Swarm or something, at 12. In the night the hiway noise came up the hill and rattled around in a hollow tree in our yard. I went under the bed and used books to hold the covers down all the way around the bed so the bees couldn't get to me. It makes me laugh now - but at the time I was terrified. Anyway, I'm a gardener and I need bees too. I am just confused!

o

The way I read it only applies to agricultural exempt farms. A revision to right to farm that has been around a long time for farmers.

Dianne

Here is a link that might be useful: Bill changes

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here