Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tomncath

Blooming Corn Plant - picture request at Lori's swap

tomncath
11 years ago

I was requested at Lori's swap to post pictures of my blooming corn plant, forgot about it til now, sorry.

Tom

11-17-11

Can you say fragrant?

Comments (17)

• hester_2009
    11 years ago

Tom,
    I think I posted mine in bloom over the winter - like you, I could not, could not, believe the fragrance!! And then, a few weeks ago, a small one that I had grown from a cutting bloomed also.
    Such a treat from such an ordinary plant!
    Hester

• crueltyfre
    11 years ago

I love these, can't believe no one really and truly wanted mine at the swap. Can't remember now who finally took it...???
    Lori

• tomncath
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hester, you had one bloom now? How cool, I think I'll move some cuttings over to the east side where my bamboo is to see what happens there, amazing fragrance at night and if I could get it to bloom there in the spring we'd be able to smell it from the back porch :-) Truly ambrosia.

Lori, I don't remember who it was but that's why I posted these pictures ;-) They won't be sorry as long as they don't try to grow it in direct sun.

Tom

• chinchette
    11 years ago

Mine keeps getting yellow leaves that die. What am I doing wrong?
    I have it in filtered shade on my patio.

• tomncath
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Too much water, it's easy to over-love a plant in a container, especially in the shade. My guess is you have a soil problem...review this link extensively for a good understanding of container soil dynamics.

Tom

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    11 years ago

Dracaenas are very sensitive to fluoride in the city water supply. Fluoride can seriously damage dracaenas. Leaf tip burn is caused by fluoride and as the tissue dies, it causes the yellow margins. To avoid the fluoride toxicity, water your plant with either distilled or purified/filtered water.

Carol in Jacksonville

• crueltyfre
    11 years ago

also "filtered shade" might be too much, does that mean sunlight filters through? mine are in full shade.
    Lori

• chinchette
    11 years ago

Mine was inside without much light. I moved it to the patio and it still is not doing well. I do use filtered water. I will check the soil link. Thanks.

• Coffeeguy
    11 years ago

Hey, thanks for the pics and info on the corn plant. I was the lucky givee? Have had it in filtered morning sun and it's
    already throwing off new leaves. But sounds like it needs to
    be moved to a shadier spot. Thanks again-would never guessed
    what a cool plant it can be.

• tomncath
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Carol, thanks! Good to know they are sensitive to fluoride, there's lots of powdered fluoride in Perlite, that's why I wash it so well before it goes into my potting mix.

Chinch and Coffey, lots of shade and very DRY soil, that why I linked Al's post about how to make a well draining soil.

Tom

• mackdon
    9 years ago

Here is picture of my cornplant inbloom. I had repotted it mid march because it was severely pot bound. In fact, it had broke the pot it was in. I believe being pot bound is what triggered the blooming.

• mackdon
    9 years ago

Side view of bloom

• mackdon
    9 years ago

Side view of bloom

• mackdon
    9 years ago

During the day the small individual blooms are closed. During the night they open to attract moths that assist pollenation. This picture shows a closeup of the individuals blooms open, at night - when the blooms are prettiest, in my opinion.

• mackdon
    9 years ago

During the day the small individual blooms are closed. During the night they open to attract moths that assist pollenation. This picture shows a closeup of the individuals blooms open, at night - when the blooms are prettiest, in my opinion.

• mackdon
    9 years ago

Side view of bloom

{{!gwi}}

• annalianne
    9 years ago

here is our corn plant flower for the past 27 years, we just recognize it when we smell something too fragrant every night.. will it be bloomed like the white ones or just like that?