Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susieqsie_fl

Road Trip for Free Admission to Leu

SusieQsie_Fla
10 years ago

Hey Y'all

Does anyone want to meet Bridget and I at Leu Gardens this Monday morning?

I went to their recent plant{{gwi:9241}} sale and have been wanting to go back and see more.
And with a little arm-twisting, Bridget has agreed to tag along.

The free admission is for the first Monday of the month (and they usually charge
$10 for non-members.)

Susie

Here is a link that might be useful: all about Leu Gardens

This post was edited by susieqsie on Wed, May 29, 13 at 18:23

Comments (15)

• zzackey
    10 years ago

Wow! I didn't know that. Is that for anyone? I live too far away or I'd go too!

• User
    10 years ago

Love leu..... Have to work. Bring your nippers.......some of the best plants I have came from a small cutting.....enjoy!..........m

• morningloree
    10 years ago

I wish I didn't have to work. Have fun for me. I would be there if I could, sounds like fun.

• whgille
    10 years ago

Have fun Susie! the Leu is a nice place to visit.

Silvia

• SusieQsie_Fla
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So sorry you can't come with us, Mark and Dawn, but I remember those days of having to be at a place called work so I understand.

Mark, are there any particular plants you recommend that we take cuttings from that will root this time of year?

And Maggie, if you're in GA - I guess you are just a tad too far away! But if you're ever in Orlando, let us know and we could do the Leu Gardens again with you. You don't have to be a member to get in free on Mondays, but if you ARE a member, it's free everyday.

I know I'll have lots of fun, Sylvia....as you know Bridget, how can it not be a total blast?

Susie

• shear_stupidity
    10 years ago

We'll have SO much fun!

Nippers, don't fail me now!

• User
    10 years ago

Go for the tropicals, get off the walkways and explore. We usually bring large baggies with wet paper towels. Need to pot them up when you get home. Next trip go back and see what you got last trip.........:). Have fun! Bring a lunch! Cooler in car, can go back out, get lunch, nice tables to eat in the shade.

• SusieQsie_Fla
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the good advice, Mark.
    I'm glad you say "explore".
    I wouldn't have thought of deviating from the pathways....I'd be afraid of getting reprimanded !

Susie

• KaraLynn
    10 years ago

Leu gardens is a great place to visit and being able to get in free is just that much better! If I didn't have to work I would join you but I unfortunaetly do. Hope you and Bridget have fun and get lots of goodies!

Kara

• User
    10 years ago

They actually encourage you to explore. The plant ID tags are under the plants so you have to get up and personnel if you want to see what your looking at. Have fun and take some pictures!!

• eric_9b
    10 years ago

In case anyone is wondering, Leu Gardens is a botanic garden and a living museum. Cuttings are only permitted with the approval of a staff member. Too many people abuse the privelege and there have been problems in the past with plants being mutilated. If you see something you like, find a horticulturist who will help you. Please to not take without asking, thanks ! This is very imprtant for people to abide by.

• whgille
    10 years ago

Susie & Bridget

It is such beautiful day to visit the Leu! Please post pictures for us to see, I wish that I can be there...

Silvia

• SusieQsie_Fla
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks so much, Eric, for the heads-up. I like how you described Leu Gardens as a "living musuem". What an incredibly beautiful place you have there!

It was a great day, Silvia, and we thought of you often as we looked around and took pictures. Here's a couple that show a little of the awesomeness....many times during our visit Bridget and I would just stand there amazed with our mouths open.

So many amazing things to try and focus on, but pics didn't always give the right perspective. I think we got a lot better ones on Bridget's phone.

We also took the tour of the Leu's house and our guide, Judy, was very entertaining with the stories of the early days in Orlando.

Then before we left - when we thought we had seen it all - we got a wonderful guided tour of the gardens and discovered we still had alot to see. Somehow, we missed a couple of pathways that really looked that we have to go there again someday soon!

• shear_stupidity
    10 years ago

I had a great time! Robert Bowden, the Executive Director, was very helpful and friendly... going that extra mile to try to help ID a plant for us.
    I can't wait to go back!

• whgille
    10 years ago

Thanks for the pictures Susie, it looks like you both had a great day! Some day I will take the guided tour also, good idea!

Silvia

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting