Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My First Grownup Containers

Posted by love_the_yard z9A Jax FL (My Page) on
Fri, May 10, 13 at 14:56

I call these my first "grownup" containers because they are my first mixed containers. I have always been a one-plant-one-pot girl because I just didn't have the knack nor the eye nor the green thumb for mixing plants in the same pot. And I have an especially hard time with these containers anyway, because they get full summer sun until around noon each day. Believe it or not, there are ten plants in each container - most grown from cuttings - but not all. You can hardly see them, but there is a Canna Crimson Beauty in the back of each that is supposed to be the "thriller". So am I grownup gardener now, LOL?  photo happy1.gif

Carol in Jacksonville

photo IMG_2439Large.jpg

photo IMG_2440Large.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My First Grownup Containers

Hi Carol
I love the color scheme - the pink penta and the coleus look great together.

And what color will the cannas be when they bloom?

Here's a nice big pat-on-the-back good-job and well-done congratulations. Can't wait to see some more in the future.

Susie

o

Susie,

The canna are a dark, dark pink/crimson red, depending upon the light. I grabbed them out of a bed by the lake that started with only one or two rhizomes and now has a million, give or take. :)

Carol

photo IMG_2087Large.jpg

o

• Posted by whgille Oakland FL Zone 9B (My Page) on
    Fri, May 10, 13 at 17:57

Hi Carol, those containers look professional arranged, you did a good job, congrats!

Silvia

o

Beautiful cannas ~ I didn't know they came in that color!

And lucky you to have about a million of them. They'll definitely add some pizzazz to your already-wonderful grownUp containers.

Susie

o

Be sure to post pics when they bloom!

This post was edited by susieqsie on Fri, May 10, 13 at 18:12

o

Really impressed, very pretty!

o

That's a very welcoming look, those gorgeous plants beside the door! Great job!

o

Carol, Fantastic container arrangement! Thank you for sharing. You just gave me a wonderful idea for my empty big container. Please post pictures once they grow and start filling those containers. I think the vine will cascade beautifully

o

You certainly are a grown up container girl, Carol!
You did a great job.
Like you, I tend to have just one big plant in a big pot...but you've made me rethink....thanks.
(There should be some begonias in there somewhere..lol)
Hester

o

I figured this had to do with the blue glazed planters. I have yet to graduate to this level of potted plants. Most of mine are in the cheap-o $5 Fiskar type pots that are then painted and poly'd to make them last longer. Some day I need to go yard saling to pick up some glazed ones on the cheap.

Not to be a kill-joy, and I hope I'm wrong, but don't the Pentas tend to like more sun than the rest of the plants in the arrangement? Other than that, it looks great. Where did you get the plant-friendly neon green paint from?

o

A month later:

photo IMG_2638aMedium.jpg

photo IMG_2642Medium.jpg

photo IMG_2643Medium.jpg

o

Very pretty!! You did a really nice job and look at how much its grown :o)

o

I still think that shade of green should be illegal in nature!

o

I still think that shade of green should be illegal in nature!

o

• Posted by whgille Oakland FL Zone 9B (My Page) on
    Sat, Jun 8, 13 at 15:53

Carol, those containers are looking so good! good job!

Silvia

o

Very eye catching .... nice job!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here