Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jellybobelly

Will Butterfly Bush Fit Here?

jellybobelly
13 years ago

I had decided to plant a dark purple butterfly bush at the side of the shed. But I'm starting to wonder if it will grow too big to fit there. Of course I went ahead and bought the plant because I lack self control. But it isn't planted yet.

The side of the shed is around 8 feet long.

And from the trunk of the crepe myrtle to the shed is about 6 1/2 to 7 feet.

I would like to be able to walk between the crepe and the butterfly bush, although that wouldn't happen frequently. For whatever delusional reason, I was thinking the butterfly bush only grows around 3 feet tall by 3 feet wide. But the guy at the nursery said it could grow 6 feet tall by 6 feet wide.

What do y'all think? Will it grow too big for the spot?

I planted a bamboo last fall thanks to the recommendations on this forum. I could plant it over near there. I could either plant it along our back fence (spot A) or between my yard and my neighbor's which doesn't have a dividing fence (spot B).

If spot A (ignore the different fence from previous pics as we're slowly replacing fence as money and body will allow), it won't be up against the fence as there are pavers next to fence to allow dog to patrol (he loves it) and to give access to fence if ever needed. How far from the pavers should I plant it?

Also, any idea how far from the bamboo it should be? It is bambusa malingensis.

Comments (8)

• goldenpond
    13 years ago

I had the dark purple and it was small last year but this year it has zoomed and stretched iots beautiful purple plumage far and wide. I have two others that are still short but thinking they are blue chip which is a small variety. Can't beat that DARK purple color though!

• jellybobelly
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'd love to see a pic of it if you have one. The "far and wide" part makes me think I'd do better planting it over by the bamboo.

I'm so indecisive when it comes to where to plant something.

• Tom
    13 years ago

You can clip these pretty much to do what you want with them.
    Does your shed have a concrete floor? If so then this is an ideal place to plant your Buddlea. It is very susceptible to nematodes and most plants die after three years or so in our sandy soil. For some reason, though, nematodes don't like concrete and roots nearby are protected from them.

Be advised that this plant needs to be deadheaded if you want more flowers.

• jellybobelly
    Original Author
    13 years ago

tom123, thanks for your response. I planted the butterfly bush this morning in spot A. My shed does not have a concrete floor. It's some sort of super rubber floor over lots and lots of rocks. But that info will come in handy as when I have the patio expanded I'll put a butterfly bush next to that cement.

I also had no idea I needed to deadhead it. I'm new to plants and have a lot to learn. I will start taking care of that tomorrow. Thanks for all the info.

On the good side less than an hour after planting I had my first butterfly. Followed by another of the same type and then a different black one later that day.

Got a pic of the first one. I was kind of far away so it isn't the best pic. Still it doesn't dampen my joy at all at having butterfly visitors.

• Tom
    13 years ago

It's a Gulf Frittilary. Congratulations. You will find that this bush is excellent for many butterflies, especially swallowtails. It will also attract hummingbirds if they are in the area.

There are many great butterfly and hummingbird plants. You can ask questions in this forum. There are a lot of very informed people here.

• kmrogers1285
    13 years ago

I just bought a dark purple butterfly bush this weekend & am going to plant it alongside my shed. I bought one several years ago, but is died very quickly. Hopefully my luck and green thumb have improved some.
    Karen

• emen13
    9 years ago

it grow very good in the tropics even though it grows kinda of a dwarf type but it flowers all year arround and it grows very beautifully here is my video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrFOJhRGUZ0

Here is a link that might be useful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrFOJhRGUZ0

This post was edited by emen13 on Sat, Sep 6, 14 at 13:22

• saldut
    9 years ago

Too bad they don't graft the b-fly bush like they do roses and fruits and other flowering shrubs, being as the nematodes love them so much... any of you horticulture folks know what they could graft it onto? LOL, sally

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio