Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A Blessed Event

Posted by love_the_yard z9A Jax FL (My Page) on
Fri, May 10, 13 at 15:12

Very exciting stuff. (It's an epiphyllum but I don't know which one.)

Carol in Jacksonville

photo IMG_2336Large.jpg

photo IMG_2364Large.jpg

photo IMG_2362Large.jpg

photo IMG_2415Large.jpg

photo IMG_2428Large.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A Blessed Event

• Posted by karalynn z9 FL, Inverness, Ci (My Page) on
    Fri, May 10, 13 at 15:21

Very pretty!

o

Yes, that is a beauty!

o

• Posted by whgille Oakland FL Zone 9B (My Page) on
    Fri, May 10, 13 at 18:00

Beautiful bloom!

Silvia

o

Oh Carol, It is gorgeous! I have 3 of those cactuses, but only rooted cutting, so God knows when it will bloom. How old is your plant?

o

I purchased a set of no-name cuttings from eBay in May 2010, so it has been three years. I have read that epiphyllum like to be root-bound before blooming. I was so surprised when this bud appeared - it is the first time any of the cuttings has bloomed. I just couldn't believe it because I thought they never would. I'm really excited that the "pink" really is pink. :)

Carol

o

It's always so exciting when they bloom!!! And that is a real
gorgeous one, Carol.
Now you've got me out checking mine for buds!
Hester

o

Carol what pot are you using plastic or clay?

o

It is a clay pot but I think that is wrong. I think they like to stay damp and the clay definitely dries out too quickly. I think (if I can remember back that far) that when I purchased them, my thinking was that they were succulents, so put them in clay. But epiphyllum should never be allowed to dry out completely... which is very difficult in clay pots. I will probably transplant them. Thanks for the little push! :)

Carol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here