Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
minderella_gw

Strawberry leaves yellow

Minderella
12 years ago

Does anyone know why my strawberry plant leaves are turning yellow? It is an everlasting strawberry plant.

Comments (8)

• garyfla_gw
    12 years ago

Hi
    Have tried to grow SB for many years but with limited success Best for me has always been with June bearers as a winter crop. Everbearers tend to suffer badly during summer heat. In fact have never had any make it through summer.lol I used "Fiesta" and "Ozark beauty" planted in late Nov in a strawberry jar this year. They are suffering in the warm nights already so provided afternoon shade at the beginning of March.. Getting many yellowing leaves now
    but still some vigorous growth as well as a few berries.
    But of course the worst of summer is yet to come .
    IME summer will do them in no matter what you do.
    But you can always try!!! good luck gary

• Minderella
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I put some fish tank water on them tonight in case it is a nitrogen deficiency. I hope it helps.

• sun_worshiper
    12 years ago

Good luck. As another poster said, this is just the wrong time of year for strawberries here. I grow strawberries as annuals. I buy in October, start getting small amounts of berries in December, have copious amounts of berries in Feb-March, and then production starts to taper off in April. I just pulled my plants this past weekend & replaced with marigolds for the summer. If you can find a place that sells bare-root strawberries that's the way to go. I got mine for 15 cents a plant. I bought 50 this year - best $8 I've spent all year=)

• loufloralcityz9
    12 years ago

My June bearing strawberries are just starting to come in. This is their sixth year of making strawberries. Strawberries are one of the plus's I get for living in this odd ball micro-clime cold area of zone 9. The lows here this past week (May 15 - 21) were in the 40's and 50's. Go Figure!
    With the night time temps still cool my tomatoes are setting fruit and I've been eating them as fast as they get red. YUM!
    Each morning at daybreak as I do my watering rounds I 'flick' each tomato blossom with thumb & forefinger to help with pollination.

Lou

• gardengimp
    12 years ago

Hmm, Sun and I are both technically 9B yet I'm still getting a few handfuls of strawberries a day. And I started with 2 doz plants. I really need to get a hi/low thermometer.

~dianne

• Minderella
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I have 3 different kinds. 2 of them are still giving me strawberries about 3 a week each. The everlasting one is the one that is yellow, the others are nice dark green. One of which I got at big box hardware store for .25. Good deal even if it doesnt make it through summer.

• sun_worshiper
    12 years ago

To be clear, my plants were still producing small amounts of berries when I yanked them. In March I was picking around 2 pints a day, right before I pulled them, I was picking about 5 berries a day. With that few berries, they just get ruined by pests, and next to none are of eating quality. I decide to pull the plants when the plants start sending runners. That's the plant's signal that they are basically done making berries for the season. If I hadn't pulled my plants, they'd continue struggling on & putting out small amounts of berries all summer. But they start getting diseased & dying out. When I pulled mine, there were already 5 fully dead plants. With your 3 plants - sure, hang on to them as long as they produce some berries. I however went for quantity & put in 50 plants. And I want to be sure to get rid of them before they attract too many disease pathogens into my garden. Plus, I don't have the patience to try to nurse them through the summer=) Not when I can get new ones next year for $8.

• Minderella
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Mine are all in buckets, not the ground. I will try to keep them going till they start producing again, if they last. Should I put them in morning sun only instead of hot 10am - 7pm sun?