Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fawnridge69

New driftwood piece

fawnridge (Ricky)
15 years ago

On the patio. This replaces the white metal hangers and the wooden orchid boxes that have finally rotted away.

Comments (18)

• laura1
    15 years ago

Yep! that looks great. Where'd ya find the driftwood?

• fawnridge (Ricky)
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Delray Garden Center on Atlantic Avenue, east of Military Trail. Same place I've been buying from for years, but their selection is dwindling.

• wanda662
    15 years ago

I love it! Looks great!

• atreelady
    15 years ago

oooooooooooooooo - I L O V E that!

• manature
    15 years ago

Wow! That is OUTSTANDING, Ricky! Beautiful selection of broms on it, too. It looks great!! If my husband sees it, he will want to find some to put up on our wall, too.

Thanks for sharing such a great picture and idea.

Marcia

• barbcoleus
    15 years ago

That is pretty darn cool looking!!

• babalu_aye
    15 years ago

That looks great. You're an artist! I wish I had that touch.

• regine_Z 10 Fl gw
    15 years ago

Beautiful! You didn't just mount those recently did you? They look well established.

Regina

• treefrog_fl
    15 years ago

Pretty one!

• fawnridge (Ricky)
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Regina - all the orchids and tillandsia have been in the garden for many years. Most were in those little boxes with the hanging wire, suspended from some cheap white wall mounted hangers. If you look closely, you can still see the holes in the wall. The bromeliads were cut fresh and added to the piece.

• lellie
    15 years ago

I agree!...that's a piece of art! :)

• garyfla_gw
    15 years ago

Hi
    Did you treat the DW with anything?? I've tried that with several different kinds of wood but either rotted or were too hard for the plante to root well.
    Cypress,Iron and rosewood lasted the longest for me but the best growth was from orange and Bougainvillea but lasted only 3 years. Just when the plants started to look the most spectacular naturally .
    certainly are beautiful that way. !!! gary

• castorp
    15 years ago

How de you attach the plants to the wood? Is there something special you have to do to get them established on the wood?

It's very pretty. I have a piece of drift wood I'd like to try that with.

Bill

• fawnridge (Ricky)
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The only thing I do with the wood is wash it down with the hose after I drill my mounting holes. This one has only two screws holding it to the house, but they're 1/4" Tapcons, 3" long. The right 'foot' is resting against the house for support as well.

All the plants are either shoved into the natural crevases (my choice) or tied with string that will disolve and disappear over time. Usually, I use brown jute, but I forgot to get some while we were out. So, with gasoline at $4 a gallon, I settled for white butcher's twine.

Here's a leftover piece that was cut to make the large piece fit and some leftover tillandsia. All of the plants are in natural groves, pressure fit, no string.

• ariel73
    15 years ago

Wow!!! It is just beautiful!! I need to find some driftwood and give it a try.
    Great job!

• laura1
    15 years ago

Ricky-love what you have done. Was wondering what side of the house you have that attached to?

I use liquid nails (and sometimes string) to attach the plants to the wood.

• fawnridge (Ricky)
    Original Author
    15 years ago

laura - It's on a wall in the covered patio that only gets direct sun in the afternoon and only during the late spring and summer.

• castorp
    15 years ago

Thanks for the information. They're really beautiful!

Bill