Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
african blue basil

Posted by dclegg 9a (My Page) on
Thu, May 16, 13 at 15:20

I am looking for african blue basil to draw bees to the garden. I have read that seeds do not do good. Have to find a plant. Does anyone know if this is true? It is not easy to find.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: african blue basil

• Posted by karalynn z9 FL, Inverness, Ci (My Page) on
    Thu, May 16, 13 at 15:37

Yes, it is very hard to find but well worth the effort! It grows very big and draws a lot of bees and small butterflies to the garden. From what I know this type of basil is steril but from experiance it's very easy to start from cuttings. I have several of them in my garden that I bought at the marion county spring festival. It took me several years of looking after I lost my original plant before I was able to find a replacement. Where do you live? If it's close enough you could have a couple cuttings from my plants.

Kara

o

I am afraid I can not help you here. Reading up on it, it sounds (and looks) like it would be a wonderful addition to almost any garden. Too bad it's so hard to come by and keep.

While it might not be the above basil, have you looked into Italian Parsley? Being biennial it probably won't help you 'now', but ever since mine started blooming, I have had bees of all sorts visiting that area of my yard and they're hitting everything from the parsley to the bush daisy's to the blanket flower.

o

There has been some for sale at the Green Thumb Festival in St. Pete the past couple of years.

o

Kara is right. It doesn't grow from seed as far as I know but does well with cuttings as long as the weather is warm. I usually find some at the spring garden shows because I have only once successfully kept plants alive all winter in pots. It's frankly easier to go buy some. I have three now and would never have a garden without it! The offer is open from me too if you want some cuttings.

o

Karalynn, I would love some of your basil cuttings. I have at least 200 varieties of seeds I can trade with. What do you need?

o

My local Lowe's has ABB available in 3 gallon pots for about $10 It's labelled as "Kasar". I wasn't familiar with this name but it certainly looked like my ABB; google confirmed Kasar = ABB.

o

• Posted by karalynn z9 FL, Inverness, Ci (My Page) on
    Tue, May 21, 13 at 13:12

Zackey, I sent you an e-mail.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here