Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
manature

Stock Tank Pond Update

manature
14 years ago

Thought maybe you guys would like to see our newest "addition" to the pond, and how Mark did it, for those wanting to try something similar.

We added the bamboo "spitter."

Here it is from the back. Mark didn't want to bury the bamboo in the ground where it would probably rot in a year or two, so he sunk a piece of PVC pipe instead, and slipped the bamboo pole over it. Beside the pole, you can see the electrical box where the pump plugs in. He installed that yesterday. There is an underground wire running through an 18" deep trench to the power source. The box is mounted to a piece of 4x4 lumber, which he inserted into the bricks to keep it low profile.

The clear tubing runs from a splitter valve on the pump into this lower piece of bamboo, and then is threaded upward through the main part and out the "pipe" that drips into othe pond. (See next two pictures.)

The clear tubing is then hidden by running it through a basket of water celery, and voila! Bamboo dripper!

It sounds really nice, and the fish seem to like it, too.

You could even do something like this with a big pot of water plants. Or a whiskey barrel half. Something that size could fit on a porch, where you could enjoy the sound of music (not to be confused with "The Sound of Music," though you might enjoy that, too) while you dine.

Hope it gives you some more pond/water garden ideas!

Marcia

Comments (23)

• tomncath
    14 years ago

Marcia, you and Mark have some truly wonderful talents...all I can say is that's dang skippy!

Tom

• manature
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, Tom. It seems like if I can dream it up, Mark can make it. At least often enough to keep me happy. Mostly.
    (Hahaha.) He's really good at making things with bamboo, and has had this big old piece around a long time. Finally it isn't taking up space in the garage any more.

Marcia

• s.s.tupperware
    14 years ago

Nice' I have a few sticks of a big timber type bamboo... there dead come get them if ya want... I'm in Fern Park... Neighbors made enough bongs...lol

• gatormomx2
    14 years ago

I have pond envy . You are truly blessed Marcia !

• katkin_gw
    14 years ago

Marcia, that looks really great, Mark did a wonderful job. I love the sound of running water. I am sure you'll really enjoy it this year.

• manature
    Original Author
    14 years ago

SS, thanks for the offer, but we have an attic full of bamboo, and a yard full of it, too. I don't think he'll run out any time soon.

Mary, you HAVE to put one in! It's easy...you'll love it.

Thanks, Katkin...every time I look out the window, I feel happy!

Though I took this outside, it is exactly what I see from my computer desk:

And look how well the waterlilies are doing. The larger leafed on on the left came from Home Depot, and was only about 1/2" high when I bought it 3 weeks ago. I swear, you can SEE it grow. And the smaller one on the right came from Nova, and it has already put out lots of new leaves, too. The larger one has a BUD already, just 3" under the surface. Woohooo!!

Marcia

• thonotorose
    14 years ago

That is so great. You've really got me thinking.

Can you give us the specs on that pump? I would like to get one that dribbles like that and see what I can come up with.

• solstice98
    14 years ago

OMG Marcia, it turned out to be even more beautiful than I expected! You are an artist and Mark is an artisan - what a great team! I showed the pictures to Jim and he says I can't speak to you anymore because you are a bad influence. I'm not even going to tell you what he said about Mark! lol

• countrynest
    14 years ago

Marcia,I love it! I knoww you are happy.
    Please give Mark my congratulations for a great job.
    You both are very talented.
    Felix

• manature
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, Everybody!

Kate, you KNOW you have to have one! Even if you got one of the oval shaped smaller ones, it would be SO much fun in your yard! Tell Jim to just get over it and buy the tank! He can do it. It wasn't hard at all, really. I've done many yard projects that were more difficult.

TRose, I just bought the pump at Home Depot. It was the appropriate size for a 500 gallon pond. (The tank is about 425 gallons). We bought the bio filter there, too. The pump came with 2 fountainheads, which we didn't use, and a valve type splitter, so you can add a decorative "spitter." With the splitter in place, you just adjust the valve to the force level you want. Turn it one way, and more water comes out the spitter. Turn it the other way, and more comes out of the top of the underwater pump.

I like to keep the spitter down to a trickle so it doesn't disturb the surface of the water too much. If you turn it on all the way, it comes out so fast, it shoots all the way across the pond! *grin*

Felix, I'm glad you like it. I AM pretty happy with it. Now that it's all set up, it seems perfect for the space. A great fit. And with the spitter, it sounds very cheery. I just love it!

Marcia

• garyfla_gw
    14 years ago

Marcia
    Since you seem to be so creative will ask for your advice??lol
    A neighbor gave me 3 planters 6,4,2 feet in dia x2 feet deep. Was thinking of stacking them up for a fountain but already have 4 water gardens. Next would be to use them
    as planters for strawberries ,seasonal herbs.
    The questions . How do I stack them up.? Figure weight from other levels would crush the lower level besides would be a waste of soil. Was thinking concrete blocks or bricks but suspect it would sag where not in contact. Maybe a disk on the blocks but made of what ,since it would be buried in the soil?? Suspect I will have to limit to two levels as 6 feet would be tought to plant.
    Now the "creative " question. What to cover the exterior with so they don't look so much like "pots' They seem to be made of black poly like most nursery pot.
    They do make paint that will stick to poly but that would just look like a pot of another color.
    Had some suggestions to use hypertufa but would it stick to poly.? Would certainly increase the weight problem for sure. Another was winding rope around it but would require over 400 feet of rope for the large one alone lol Same problem with tile besides putting tile on a round surface.
    So far am thinking of using the two foot on top of the 6
    Would still be 4 foot tall but I think manageable.
    Open to suggestions from anyone!!lol
    One more ??. These came with mature palms in them for transplant . I was surprised that the nursery gave them to me. Are these made of some kind of degradeable material?? looks like reguler poly to me, No use getting to ambitious with someting that degrades. Thanks everybody!! gary

• gardengrl
    14 years ago

Wow Marcia, you guys HAVE been busy! Love what Mark did with the bricks around the tank and I like the raise pond concept versus the sunken pond. I think it makes everything more accessible.

Beautiful job!

• wanda662
    14 years ago

I must say how much I enjoyed your pictures! I just love the water pond and the instructions. Lucky you to have such a talented husband!

• manature
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Gardengrl, I agree...it is easier to feed the fish, and reach the plants with it raised. Plus I can sit in a chair next to it and watch the fishies all day. I still love in-ground ponds, but there are pluses to each type.

Thanks Wanda! I'll tell him you think he's talented. He really IS good at stuff like this, once I get him "on board" with the project.

Marcia

• manature
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Gary, I moved your post to a new thread so people wouldn't miss it. I want to hear all their ideas on your cool find!
    Hope that was okay with you? I just thought it might get lost here.

Marcia

• vaodiva
    14 years ago

Marcia, that's great! It's come so far from the metal pond you'd posted a while back. Awesome :)
    Corey, of course, loves it as well and will be borrowing the bamboo idea.
    V:)

• jellybobelly
    14 years ago

Your pond is really lovely. Ya'll have done a fantastic job on it.

• manature
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, V! Always good to hear from you...where ya been, lately?

Thank you, Jelly. Glad you like it. It's not hard and makes such a big difference in our yard. I still can't believe we waited so long to get it done!

Marcia

• perrisquirrel
    14 years ago

Marcia - the bamboo spitter is a lovely addition!

I do have a question tho. On the previous thread about the pond, you mentioned it would be a bad idea to use rocks/stones in the bottom of the tank. Why is this? I think it would be a nice natural touch.

I am seriously considering doing this, so I will probably have a million questions. I hope you don't mind.

Thanks!
    -Julie

• manature
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Don't mind at all, Julie. Some people DO put stones and rocks in the bottom of their ponds, but it really makes it difficult to clean up plant debris, excess food, and the like. That stuff settles in between the rocks and can foul the water, even with a pump & filter, if it gets too bad. There are those who favor it and those who don't. I don't, having had bad experiences trying to keep it clean.

You can put a layer of aquarium gravel in the bottom, too, but the same thing happens, and it is much harder to clean gravel in the bottom of a pond than in a 10-gallon tank. With the black fabric on the bottom, I can use the net to scoop out fallen leaves or other debris pretty easily, so that's the route I decided to take.

A few big stones for decorative purposes, or to give the fish more places to hide are fine. But a layer of small rocks or gravel can turn into headaches. (And if you do put large decorative rocks in, make sure they are not actually coral or shell. Those are fine for salt water tanks, but not so good for fresh water.)

Hope this is helpful to you.

Marcia

• perrisquirrel
    14 years ago

Marcia - Yes, that was very informative. Thank you so much!

• whyndy
    14 years ago

I am new here, and am glad I found other people who wanted to use stock tanks for garden ponds. We have an older well we want to use as our water supply. Plan on using a stock tank about the size of yours. My questions: 1. what size of pump to bring the water up to the pond to keep it full, 2. what kind of filter do I use, 3. how does it need set up to stay fairly clean? I also plan on the water returning to the well, or do i even need to? I plan on putting in a few plants and fish. Any help would be SO apreciated as I have wanted to do this for a few years and my loving husband has agreed to help me tackle it.

• manature
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi, whyndy! Welcome to the forum. My pond isn't "hooked" to the well in any way. It was filled with a garden hose, and about once a week, I top it off about an inch, due to a little bit of evaporation.

I bought the circulating pump at Home Depot, and I got one designed for ponds up to 500 gallons. (The tank holds about 425). Mark ran an electrical line to the area, and the pump is plugged into a box as shown above. It circulates the water through a biofilter which we bought at Home Depot at the same time. (The guy there was very helpful in picking out what we needed).

One of the most important things is to have plenty of good aerating plants in the pond. Typical aquarium plants will work great, and you can also add some decorative floating plants, too, like water lilies. They help keep it clean and provide cover for your fish. They also help oxygenate the water. If you don't overcrowd the fish or overfeed them, and you don't get fertilizer in the pond (from potting soil), it should stay clear for you. But sometimes, it does take a few weeks to get it balanced.

I recommend picking up a good pond book (they even have those at Home Depot) and reading it through. They will have plenty of illustrations and good tips to help you decide just how you want to set up your tank.

It's not at all hard, and it is so rewarding.

Good luck with your project, and feel free to ask any other questions you think of.

Marcia

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm