Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
under the sea fantasy

Posted by linda_leaf 10 FL (My Page) on
Sun, May 23, 10 at 15:30

The big freeze did a number on some of my front yard plants, so we took most everything out of this flower bed and created an 'Under the Sea Fantasy'. I must say that our whole house is decorated with everything from the sea, so it was a good choice to do a sea fantasy. The seahorse was created by my DH. We bought ficus repens (creeping fig) plants and put small portions into the moss filled frame. They are just planted and need to fill out. We also added eyes after this picture was taken.
Photobucket

The plants are mostly succulents all chosen to look like corals and sea grasses. We still have lots of special things to add including a starfish topiary on a big rock, sea shells, and fantasy fish.

Photobucket

It has taken a lot of work to get this far and there is still much more to do, but I am so excited to just get this much done!

Linda Leaf

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: under the sea fantasy

Linda
Your topiary is FAB-olous. Your husband is so talented, how did he create the frame? Is it metal? Tell us more please.

what an interesting theme.

Denise

o

• Posted by tomncath St.Pete-Z10A-Heat 10 (My Page) on
    Sun, May 23, 10 at 17:57

That seahorse is truly amazing, your husband is very talented. I can't wait to see your yard down the road.

Tom

o

Love the seahorse, too!
Marcia PA/FL

o

Linda, your sea fantasy theme is sure to turn heads. Sounds like so much fun! Love the whimsy. Please show us later on when things are more mature. You've got a great start. Thanks for sharing, you've got me thinking!

Anna

o

Butterflygardener sent me this link years ago. I thought I saved it but couldn't find it..... until now. Anyway I thought you might find it interesting.

Oh and I also love your seahorse!

Here is a link that might be useful: undersea gardens

o

coffeemom,
That is exactly where we got our inspiration to create our garden! Of course we couldn't use the same plants in the picture you posted as that garden is in Southern California. We tried to find Florida plants that are similar to those in your picture. Most plants are doing very well. Squirrels and aramdillos have been a problem. It is a lot of fun creating this sort of theme garden.
Linda Leaf

o

Linda, that is such a great idea your garden and the seahorse is just absolutely amazing. What plants are you using in your bed?

Helen

o

• Posted by katkin 9b/10a PSL,Fl (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 3, 10 at 6:57

Looks great!!! I love the sea horse too.

o

Do you have the "sticks on fire" euphorbia? If you were closer I'd let you have mine. Who knew that little pot of plant could get so huge. It looks like something from under the sea.

o

Hmmm where could I do this I have a large pile of boulders that will eventually become a waterfall maybe there

Coffeemom loved that link

I want a seahorse lol more pics please love it!

o

That is an awesome seahorse. Great idea!! This is my favorite link for Sea Bed Succulent coral reef garden. This one really rocks!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Sea Bed

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here