Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tinael01

its so dang ugly

tinael01
11 years ago

I can't stand it anymore!!! The circle in our cul-de-sac looks so bad. There is weed block plastic sticking up everywhere, rocks and dirt spilling onto the road, old cement edging in disarray, and no water supply. Every few years someone from the homeowners asso comes and dumps a few more rocks on top and straightens the edging, but its all over the place again in a few months. I've been looking at the ground cover thread to see if something will cover this yucky mess up. I need a groundcover that laughs at drought and sandy soil devoid of nutrients and isn't bothered by rocks and 100 year old weed block. Since weeds don't even grow there - I really have a challenge. You guys got anything for me?

Comments (12)

• ritaweeda
    11 years ago

I would suggest perennial peanut the problem is finding it. Maybe check with county extension office??

• kayjones
    11 years ago

Yes I do! Plant Lirope - this stuff will grow anywhere!

• tinael01
    Original Author
    11 years ago

you got it - lirope and perennial peanuts it is.

• keiki
    11 years ago

Mimosa would work well also and provide plenty of pretty pink blooms.

• crueltyfre
    11 years ago

wedelia...nothing kills it. And here's the best part....you don't have to buy it! I have a full bed of it between the sidewalk and street. I got cuttings from some GW people and then hit a grocery store parking lot that was full of it for more.
    Lori

• cynthiainsouthfla
    11 years ago

I saw peanut at lowes on Tuesday, FYI.

• tinael01
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wonderful! Free and cheap are good. :) I'll start gathering plants and take pics as I go. So Lori - can I come get some?

• ladywingr
    11 years ago

Confederate jasmine? There is a lot of it being used around here as ground cover.

Looking forward to seeing your "after" pictures!

• tomncath
    11 years ago

I'm against the P.peanut. Tina, I'm also Zone 10 humid like you are, virtually the same and PP looks extremely ratty here from late fall until now. It's beautiful otherwise, BUT that still leaves FIVE months a year that it is an eyesore ....Just my opinion based on my experience with NO irrigation and our microclimate.

Tom

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    11 years ago

Yucky is right! It looks like @ one time that was a bed of pebble rock - which doesn't age very well, seemingly.

If it's too hard to dig up, maybe it could be covered w/ log mulch - not sure what county/city you're in, but here in St. Pete, we can get it by the cu yd from the city for pretty low $$.

Maybe plant cord grass or something similar? & there's a spreading form of natal plum - another plant that can take dry . Whatever's planted, even if it is drought resistant, will need water for awhile to get established.

I agree about nix on the perennial peanut - it does not do well in dry sand IMPE, but seems to prefer moist loam to flourish. Railroad vine & beach/dune sunflower both grow in pure sand, along w/ many grasses besides cord.

Also, if that's as thick a thick layer of stones as you suggest, some fertiliser may be necessary for even the toughest plants.

Also wondering how much weed killer has been used on that? It may impact whatever gets planted...

HTH

• FLgardenmom
    11 years ago

I would certainly second the beach dune sunflower recommendation. My front flower bed was once-upon-a-time a rock bed, which my mother-in-law just started putting red mulch on top of. When we took over the house, I planted a few by simply digging into the rock and sand. No amendments what-so-ever...the lady at the native nursery told me I could get away with it and she was right. Everything else I've planted out there, I've had to dig a really big hole (NOT easy in the rock), remove all the rocks and add Black Kow.
    And they have just done beautifully. And they have taken over a much larger area than my sunshine mimosa have, which were planted in pure sand.

Here are my beach dune sunflowers in said flower bed. This is 3 plants planted about 10-12 months ago from 1 gallon containers. I watered them for a week, and that is all I've done! Seriously, no fertilizer, no amendments, no extra water. I think they are just beautiful.

• crueltyfre
    11 years ago

Free wedelia anytime anyone wants! And if I run out, I'll show you the shopping center that has plenty, lol.
    Lori