Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
corar4gw

saving my crop of figs

corar4gw
9 years ago

My fig tree is loaded with fruit. But in probably less than 2 weeks, the squirrels, birds and BUGS will be having a feast on them. I can get bird netting, but what can I use to keep the bugs (wasps?) from entering the ripening fruit and laying their eggs, etc? I'd really like to use something non-poison if possible. I'm wide open to suggestions.

Comments (4)

• bea (zone 9a -Jax area)
    9 years ago

I use netting i buy at the fabric store. Holes are very small. Tie it around the bottom or peg down in the soil around the base.

• bea (zone 9a -Jax area)
    9 years ago

I use netting i buy at the fabric store. Holes are very small. Tie it around the bottom or peg down in the soil around the base.

• corar4gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Great idea!! 10 yards of 64" wide net (as opposed to tulle) should do a great job. BUT - would I still have to spray for fungal and other problems?

• whgille
    9 years ago

Hi Cora

My fig trees are also loaded with fruit and they are the easiest to grow from all my fruit trees, I never get any bugs or fungal disease, never spray either or cover them with nets, I just don't have any problems except the rust later in the rainy season and of course I have the fruit picked as it ripens.

Last year figs ready for the oven

Silvia