Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
saving my crop of figs

Posted by corar JAX9A (My Page) on
Wed, May 14, 14 at 15:59

My fig tree is loaded with fruit. But in probably less than 2 weeks, the squirrels, birds and BUGS will be having a feast on them. I can get bird netting, but what can I use to keep the bugs (wasps?) from entering the ripening fruit and laying their eggs, etc? I'd really like to use something non-poison if possible. I'm wide open to suggestions.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: saving my crop of figs

I use netting i buy at the fabric store. Holes are very small. Tie it around the bottom or peg down in the soil around the base.

o

I use netting i buy at the fabric store. Holes are very small. Tie it around the bottom or peg down in the soil around the base.

o

Great idea!! 10 yards of 64" wide net (as opposed to tulle) should do a great job. BUT - would I still have to spray for fungal and other problems?

o

• Posted by whgille Oakland FL Zone 9B (My Page) on
    Wed, May 14, 14 at 20:22

Hi Cora

My fig trees are also loaded with fruit and they are the easiest to grow from all my fruit trees, I never get any bugs or fungal disease, never spray either or cover them with nets, I just don't have any problems except the rust later in the rainy season and of course I have the fruit picked as it ripens.

Last year figs ready for the oven

photo July2013_093_zps6d8b1b9e.jpg

Silvia

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here