Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zzackey

We are under Tropical Storm warning

zzackey
11 years ago

Tropical Storm Beryl is headed right for us! I moved some plants around and tied up the tomatoes some more. I brought in the nice Clemantine tomatoes that Tom send me the seeds for. They have about 20 blooms each. I had them in 1 gallon pots. Almost put them in the ground last week. And I brought in my best looking Basil plant. The rest are going to be out in the storm.

Comments (19)

• beachlily z9a
    11 years ago

Everything will be fine! Just enjoy the rain! You more than likely won't get enough wind to do damage. If you are as dry we were are down here, this is a blessing. It's just a strong storm, nothing to get bothered about. Has a beautiful profile!

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    11 years ago

Zackey, I hope everything will be alright. I understand your concerns. I'm sorry about the newly planted tomatoes and herbs. I hope that enough make it through to give you yummy stuff later.

I understand how you feel about the wind - we are getting 30 mph gusts here in Jax. Gusts will be even higher, yet to come: http://www.windfinder.com/report/jacksonville_beach_haven

It's a shame that, as badly as we need the rain, we are receiving close to none. So far today, I have had 0.04 inches. What a disappointment. On the US Drought Monitor, as of May 22, Duval County remains in the Exceptional category: http://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/DM_state.htm?FL,SE

For those that don't understand, as of current time, Beryl has been upgraded to a Tropical Storm with max sustained winds of 65 mph: http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/index.shtml?#BERYL

Here's the current tracking: http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at2+shtml/175838.shtml?5-daynl?large#contents

Carol

11 years ago

One more point that may be helpful:

In the Northern Hemisphere, storm winds rotate counter-clockwise. The fastest winds are on the "right" side, if you are look in the same direction as the storm's movement. That is, if the hurricane is moving westward, like Tropical Storm Beryl, the strongest winds will be on the north side.

Carol

• puglvr1
    11 years ago

Good luck to ALL of you in the path of Beryl...I hope its more of rain maker than anything else. I HATE the wind and completely sympathize, hoping the winds aren't going to be so bad. Hang in there and best of luck to all of you. Its a shame we're having this conversation when its NOT even officially Hurricane Season yet...Please be safe!!

• beachlily z9a
    11 years ago

Well, the good news is that the winds will rapidly decline as the storm goes ashore. For those of you in Jax and southern GA, hunker down. The storm is moving pretty quickly and this p.m. should be interesting.

Just as a note. In 2004 when we had three hurricanes come up from the south, at the same time, my husband was undergoing chemo therapy for 2 different kinds of cancer. He is cancer free now, so, just for me, I can handle almost any kind of storm now as long as my loved one isn't being threatened! This is easy--that was stress off the scale. I guess I just try to keep things in perspective after going through that.

• zzackey
    Original Author
    11 years ago

We were in Vero Beach for those 3 hurricanes. I hope I never expericence that again. I understand the stress of having your spouse sick. I'm glad he is fine now! We live in a mobile home, so that was stressing me out. We are north of the storm! From the looks of the 6:00 news that is the best place to be. 20-40 mph winds and gusts of 50 mph. I feel alot better, but not totally safe. We lived in a strong CVS house for those hurricanes.

• beachlily z9a
    11 years ago

Zack, just keep in mind that this isn't a hurricane--just a strong storm that will provide needed rain. Circulation? Well ... just a strong storm that will provide needed rain. You might put out some buckets so those tomato plants can have a taste of the good stuff! This will pass quickly and your tomatoes and basil will go outside and prosper. Even the basil plants that are outside--if they get broken, just cut them off where they break. They will come back. So will the tomatoes. Just keep yourself safe.

• cammunizm
    11 years ago

In Jax, Inland

Tree's in the back (Willows) Seriously bending it like Beckham. Cherry's and Beefsteak tomatos in huge buckets on back patio seem ok so far. Too big to move and roots are sticking on the pavement below the buckets. Wish they wouldn't do that. Oh well, damn birds and bugs making a meal of the beefsteaks before I get them. Tomatoes are too much trouble.

• mikem8560
    11 years ago

In 04 charley came ashore up charlotte harbor and it was a real bSty time in. Port charlotte Friday night indont know if it was an effect of beryl but we has toretial rains hail and high winds slong with heavy lightning Sideways rain It rained sonhard and fast that it washed out a shell ealkeay in my yard.

• garyfla_gw
    11 years ago

Hi
    A gentle reminder to get those trees trimmed?? lol i have about half of mine done . Now if I could just prod my neighbors into action . During Jeanne their tree did 10 grand in damages to MY house lol
    We did get some wonderful rain!!! HOORAY gary

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    11 years ago

We had some wild winds last night. Picked up my greenhouse (10x20ft) and bent and broke the steel poles that go across the top and threw the whole thing about 20ft across the yard. Two wooden fences down around one of the chicken coops. Only the back wall of the fence was still standing along with the coop. Those chickens were sure scared when I let them out this morning LOL! Other than that we had some very large tree pots thrown around and some small tree limbs down.
    Not too bad, the biggest thing will be repairing the greenhouse but at least I have all summer and fall to deal with that.

• zzackey
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sorry to hear you had so much damage Sultry! We are fine! Thank God! About 2 inches of rain so far and still drizzling. No wind damage. The ripped plastic is still on the greenhouse. Amazing. I had hoped it would blow off! Time for a new one. No loss of power. Lots of people in Jacksonville had trees and power lines down and power outages and minor flooding. Our dirt road is like a mud bog. Everyone has been riding up and down to see what might have happened from the storm. Very mucked up. We could charge admission and make a mint with all the mud bog lovers around here!

• katkin_gw
    11 years ago

Glad to hear you are all well and only had minor damage. :o)

• corar4gw
    11 years ago

Thanks, chuggerguy for the map. I've been wondering this whole time how our little fifth wheel held up out there in northern Baker county. Like zackey, our roads are dirt and less than a quarter mile from the river. Son's truck was on blocks this weekend, so a trip out to check wasn't possible. As for my in-town neighborhood, no damage noted but will have to rake up a lot of tree trash before mowing the grass.

11 years ago

Zackey,

Hope you weathered the storm ok. Everything is fine here, including the purple martins.

What is a "CVS house"? I researched it and the best I could find is Thai housing. (Please see link below.) Is that to which you refer?

Thanks!
    Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: CVS Thai Modern Home

• zzackey
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sorry, Carol! That was supposed to be CBS house. Concrete block, stucco.

11 years ago

Zackey, thanks! That makes sense.

Carol

• Richard (Vero Beach, Florida)
    11 years ago

Last year was my first Spring down here and it seemed so dry. This one has seemed wet but I guess we still have a small deficit. Counting the 3 or so inches resulting from Beryl it's rained almost 15 inches here so far this year.

My first December here was the coldest December on record. That was in 2010.

Last October was the wettest October on record... 21.93 inches. That was in 2011.

Hopefully we break no records this year.