Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Infestation of snails in my backyard. Should I be concerned?

Posted by bd74 10 (My Page) on
Tue, May 14, 13 at 16:25

For the last few months, I've seen lots of these critters stuck on the sides of my outdoor plant pots as well as on the exterior walls of the house.

Are they hazardous to plants, and/or should I be otherwise concerned?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Infestation of snails in my backyard. Should I be concerned?

I would make sure that they aren't Giant African Snail babies. They eat just about any kind of plant and sometimes they eat stucco to get extra calcium in their diet.

o

Diachenous earth (can't spell it!) is made of crushed sea shells. It will kill them if your spread it around on the ground where you see them. It is pricey IMO. Don't use it on a windy day and you should use a mask when you spread it. It can hurt your lungs.

o

Have them en mass. And yes, they eat plants, specially young greens. DE should work, they won't cross over it, but it'll be gone after a rainfall. They are a BOTHER when you walk to your car and crush them underfoot.....got me used to always check the ground where I step.

o

I use snail bait in areas where snails and slugs are a problem. To keep the rain off the bait, I pour a small amount in a plastic cup, turn the cup on its side and let the snails have a party. I empty it when it's full of the little devils.

o

I've come to rely on the pelleted bait - I often sprinkle it around new plantings of seeds to keep the slugs & snails from destroying the seedlings before they can take hold. I had a bad infestation of Cuban brown snails a couple of years ago & now they're almost completely gone from my yard.

I buy it @ Home Depot - most garden supply stores should have it - it's iron phosphate & breaks down into fertilizer...

Thinking those in the photo might be tree snails? This article says they are not a pest...

Here is a link that might be useful: Tree snails

o

Chickens!

Haven't seen a snail or slug in our backyard since my three girls have been allowed to free range and I was really struggling with them.

DE works, but washes away. The pet-safe snail bait went mouldy. Fireplace ash worked for a while, but looked awful. And, all the while my plants died from snail chewing. Beer bait and other types of traps worked too, but I was really only keeping up, never getting the upper hand.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here