Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tomncath

Everglades over the lake - NOT a discussion about Okeechobee

tomncath
14 years ago

So, for those of you that just have to have some rogue, invasive Everglades/Matt's/Red Currant tomatoes here are some pictures of how they do. I managed to wrestle my garden back from them but look where they showed up now!

So, I guess I'll still have tomatoes this summer if I'm will to risk a water moccasin bite to get to them :-(

Tom

Comments (22)

• solstice98
    14 years ago

That is so funny! I had Matt's all over my garden for a while too but have to admit I was sorry when they all died out. It was nice to ALWAYS have a handful or two of sweet cherry tomatoes to throw on a salad.

Kate

• tomncath
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Kate,

I think I'm going to have to agree with you, they taste so WONDERFUL, and will grow here for me through the summer, so I'm probably going to re-start a trellis of them now. My sister has asked for some seeds so I'll be processing some for her and would be glad to send you some if you don't get some Red Currant seeds from Silvia or some EG/Matt's from Michael.

Tom

• SusieQsie_Fla
    14 years ago

I'd be puttin' on my hip-waders just to harvest them beauties! Bet they're even tastier than the garden-variety.

You lucky dog!

Susie

• tomncath
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I took a stick and beat the cattails a little to make sure there weren't any moccasins down there, then picked a few. Man, were they good :-) :-(

• garyfla_gw
    14 years ago

Tom
    Think you may have missed the best part!!. have heard (properly prepared) Moccasins are great. Taste like chicken.lol
    gary

• whgille
    14 years ago

Tom

I still have your Mat's and Everglades tomatoes. I can send you if you want for your sister or anybody else. I have not grown those, for now I am happy with my Hawaiian. And starting more for the neighbors that asked me.

Try the Armenian cucumbers for summer. They are the right size for you and Cathy. Tasty and versatile too.

And I have to tell you that peppers hot or sweet are more popular with everybody.

Next season, more peppers!

Silvia

• tomncath
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Gary - gee thanks, but I just don't believe everything tastes like chicken ;-)

Silvia - thanks, I'll just start your Red Currants here to see if they seem any different, and send my sister some seed from the maters over the lake. My bet is that your HRC's (Hawaiian Red Currants, not Husky Cherry Reds) are the same as the Everglades/Matt's...we'll see.

I started three varieties of the Metik's as the description is "Armenian" so you'd think that they are all related, but I have to tell you I'm not impressed with their growth here at my place, may just be too humid.

Tom

• whgille
    14 years ago

Tom

It is humid and hot here too. Reminds me of Arizona, no rain.
    Your Metki are doing really good and growing fast. I will post a picture when everything is coming together.

My neighbors are coming to tour the garden more often. They were impressed of the growth of the summer crops. They said this wasn't here before?

I think they love the peppers more than anything. The leaves of the sweet papaya pumpkin are so pretty, I hope you get to grow them. Now I just have to wait for the flavor.

When your Metki grow, don't let them get too big, pick them a little bit longer than a cucumber, not too big.

Silvia

• tomncath
    Original Author
    14 years ago

When your Metki grow, don't let them get too big, pick them a little bit longer than a cucumber, not too big.

Funny thing, the vines are only about four feet long now after almost a month's growth and are covered with blooms BUT they are all male blooms!? Remember that my garden is only 15' off the water and it is brackish, I'm beginning to think my salt air may be a problem when it gets hot and the humidity kicks in....

• whgille
    14 years ago

Tom, here are the pictures of the Armenian Cucumber, the Metki, and the Sweet Papaya Pumpkin:

Silvia

• tomncath
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Very nice Silvia, I finally found my first fruit bloom today on the white Metki, and quite a few Trombocinos but they are yellowing very young, which might be attributable to me stupidly trying a different Florikan formula that's 80% Nurticote CRF, AND 20% immediate release with minors...me thinks I may have made a mistake, might have to accept the Black Thumb award for this summer :-( On a positive note, the cuzucci is starting to bloom now with the sunset, and the other Calabash gourds (Asia Short and India Long) are growing strongly, although not blooming yet....

• solstice98
    14 years ago

The leaves of the papaya pumpkin are beautiful!

• whgille
    14 years ago

Tom
    I am glad that you are seeing progress in your garden. My summer garden was planted recently, I wanted to time it with the other crops. When I don't have those, the new ones will be producing.

I would think gourds will do best in your weather. Bombay, now Mumbai, was so hot and humid getting all the salt spray from the water, over 100 degrees. And it was so lush!...

Kate

Any seeds that I have and that you would like, I will be happy to send you. Let me know.

Silvia

• happy_fl_gardener; 9a, near DeLand
    14 years ago

Silvia---Where did you buy your Armenian cucumber seeds? My cuke harvests are winding down now and I want to replant. I checked the envelope you gave me with different varieties of seeds but I didn't find that one. So far the only thing I have planted for the summer is a few sweet potatoes and some yardlong beans. What suggestions do you have? I have 6 jicama plants waiting to be planted.

Tom---A couple of the tromboncino squashes are getting really big. I mean, like 18 -24 inches big. When should they be cut and how do I cook it? The cuzucci squash vines are forming little long thin fruits. What size are they harvested and how are they prepared? I figure I will ask in advance. Yeah, isn't that interesting how the vine blooms in the evening to early morning with the pretty white flowers.

Christine

• SaintPFLA
    14 years ago

That's hysterical!! I don't know much about those tomatoes, but are they actually considered 'invasive' or did they just happen to send up volunteers by the lake?

Me: I'd be more scared of gators than moccassins! ;-)

• tomncath
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Silvia - I've got my fingers crossed, but I think this Florikan formula with 20% immediate release was a mistake.

Christine - pick both at 18" and cook like you would any other squash. Did you get any of the Metki seeds from me? All three are in the Armenian melon/cuke family so theoretically will grow through our summers.

Saintpfla - they sprouted at the back edge of my reclaimed topsoil/potting soil pile on the edge of the lake and started sprawling over the cattails. Funny thing about the gators, they don't like brackish water so no problem there, I made the assumption that moccasins don't either, but boy was I wrong on that one....

Tom

• whgille
    14 years ago

Hi Tom
    The next quest should be to get seeds direct from India, they are very careful about their seeds.
    Did you see the movie "Slumdog millonaire"? If not, you have to see it . It is a good movie.

Hi Christine
    I am very familiar with the Armenian cucumber, I used to grow them in Arizona. I picked about the size of cucumbers and use them as such. The packet that I have (probably from Arizona) said Cucumber Armenian Yard Long.
    I can send you some seeds if you are interested. And also some of Tom's Metki and gourds (this will be my first time growing these).
    Send me an email, I can put these varieties in the mail today.

Silvia

• SaintPFLA
    14 years ago

Tom, you have the best looking garden! The Grim Reaper has taken up residence in my yard. I received no rain yesterday at all even though I had thunder/lightening right over the house.

How did you learn about the Armenia veggies? I would never have even known to consider them.

Also, as lovely as it is, you just reminded me as to why I am glad I do not live on a pond/lake in Florida! :-)

• tomncath
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Silvia - do you think it's possible to order from India? Our neighbor has the movie and we started to watch it but once I found out it's three hours long I didn't make it very far...will have to wait for the weekend, intriguing though, so far.

Saintpfla - my garden doesn't look so good right now, fairly ratty, so I'll leave the pretty pictures to Silvia, Christine and Michael. I was just bound and determined to find veggies we can grow here in the summer, thus the expansion into Oriental and Asian veggies since many of them come from hot, humid environments.

Tom

• whgille
    14 years ago

Yes Tom, we can. Then I can pull out my cookbooks.
    Also, on the end of this month, we are invited to an "Indian feast" in our friend's house.
    I will ask questions...He is an excellent cook!

Silvia

• an_ill-mannered_ache
    14 years ago

tom--the yellowing of the squash when small is normal--mine always do that. not every fruit that gets pollinated (or formed) gets brought to ripening--the plant knows what it can bear. it's nothing you did. right now my cuccuzi squash is dropping about 75% of its fruit without ripening. as it grows larger, it'll keep more... my tatume is dropping 100%! i hope it keeps some fruit...

christine--i've picked tromboncino when they were longer than my arm and they were still quite tasty. the smaller ones are better--less watery, no seeds. if you get some armenian cuke seeds, id like to give them a shot if you want to share. i have a TON of sweet potato slips going right now if you want some--whites, japanese, purples... i don't know which is which, but you're welcome to some.

oh--and my cuke harvest is increasing... what makes you think yours is on the down-and-out? last year, mine kept at it until mid-june.

• SaintPFLA
    14 years ago

Aaaah! My apologies for crediting the wrong gardener with the lovely photos!

I didn't read the thread closely and mis-attributed the photos..sorry 'bout that!!! ;-)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting