Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ritaweeda

Endless Summer Hydrangea

ritaweeda
13 years ago

Has anyone tried this? I love Hydrangeas but it's so hot here. Do they survive and thrive? Lowe's has them but they are expensive.

Comments (15)

• amberroses
    13 years ago

I have two Endless Summers and one Blushing Bride hydrangea. Surprisingly, yes they do very well here in the Tampa Bay area. Plant them where they can get partial morning sun and shade during the afternoon. They droop when it gets hot or dry, but they spring back when you water them.

• goldenpond
    13 years ago

I lost two sets and the third attempt is still alive. They have never gotten really huge or outstanding but they are still alive and flowering here and there.
    tanya

• cocoabeachlorax
    13 years ago

I cannot speak to the endless summer variety, but those that I have planted (admittedly without enough morning sun exposure) have survived and grown, albeit very slowly. There are not a lot of blooms on them, but that may be due to the shady location more than the plant itself. Now, if you can get them to bloom blue here let me know how !

• amberroses
    13 years ago

This photo is from last week. They look better now because the flowers are more open. They appear white in the photo, but this year they have decided to be purple. Last year they were pink. I am getting closer to blue at least.

• goldenpond
    13 years ago

Amberroses yours look nicer than mine and I must admit they are perennial so they will get better with each year if the poem is correct about Perennials!

The first year they sleep,
    the second year they creep
    the third year they LEAP.

• amberroses
    13 years ago

The first one is going on its second year. The second one is going on its third year. I also have a blushing bride that is going on its second year. They do get bigger each year. No nematode problems yet.

• frompa2fl_in9b
    13 years ago

I love, love, love hydrangeas but have been afraid to try them here in Sarasota. How much/deep did you amend your soil? I see alot of "potting mix" in you pics.

• gatormomx2
    13 years ago

This is a very interesting link about hydrangeas .
    From the link :
    " The first everblooming French hydrangea to be recognized and commercially promoted was discovered by noted plantsman, Dr. Michael Dirr, in the trial garden of a wholesale nursery in Minnesota. One of the nursery employees noticed that a neighbor's French hydrangea flowered late in the year, and he obtained permission to propagate and test the plant. Dr. Dirr recognized that the plant had value as a garden plant along with great commercial potential. This plant was given the cultivar name of 'Bailmer' and is now widely known as Endless Summer® hydrangea."

Here is a link that might be useful: French Hydrangea for Gardens in North and Central Florida

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

Amberroses, those are very pretty!

Cocoabeachloras, I hear you about getting them to bloom BLUE.
    I have one in a container and it blooms Pink...this one was taken last May. It is several weeks behind this year, so far no buds yet...nice heathly lush leaves. I think the very cold winter might have slowed them down a little?

I did find this link on the web that says adding some aluminum sulfate and coffee grounds to the soil will help to make it bloom "blue". I really want to try it this year before the buds appear. Does anyone know where to find aluminum sulfate? Thanks!

{{gwi:869496}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Getting your Hydrangea to Bloom Blue

• gatormomx2
    13 years ago

Adding elemental sulfur is recommended .
    From UF :

"The soil pH can be temporarily lowered by adding elemental sulfur. Bacteria in the soil act to change elemental sulfur into sulfuric acid, effectively neutralizing soil alkalinity. However, the effects of elemental sulfur are localized to the area that was amended and the effect is temporary. Soil pH will begin to rise shortly after soil bacteria exhaust the added sulfur supply. This effect will require repeated applications of sulfur to ensure the soil remains at the desired pH. This is where sulfur addition can get tricky. If too much sulfur is added, or if it is added too frequently, it can actually injure or kill your plants. Therefore, it is important to never apply sulfur in excess of 5 to 10 pounds of sulfur per 1,000 square feet per application. Adding sulfur at high rates or too frequently, can actually result in damage to your plants. If you decide to apply sulfur, make sure to monitor your plants."

Here is a link that might be useful: Soil pH and the Home Landscape or Garden

• melw07_gmail_com
    12 years ago

I am reviving this thread in the hopes that someone here can tell me where I can buy an ES in central Florida? I have called nurseries surrounding the Leesburg area but no seems to carry them including the box stores like Home Depot. I still need to try Lowes but I was wondering since some of you have the ES if someone here could point me in the right direction. I did try looking on the ES website for retailers but the search comes up as no matches for any zip code I use and I even tried a zip for Miami! I'd so like to get one for my mom who is living in that area. Otherwise I will have to ship one here from Utah and well that wouldn't be much fun...

• Ashleybena
    9 years ago

Lukas Nursery in Oviedo sells Endless Summer Hydrangeas for 12.99 in 1 gallon containers

• Ashleybena
    9 years ago

I have 3 endless summer hydrangeas in large pots on my patio which get some morning sun then shade the rest of the day. One is doing OK but the other two need something. I think the problem is the soil is too wet.

Does anyone have any advise on the best soil to use and how much water I should use? They shrivel up as soon as the soil gets moderately dry, but it seems like if the soil is constantly moist, they don't do well either.

Thanks!

• amberroses
    9 years ago

Your plants look new because they are in full bloom and mine are just starting. Are they new? If so, maybe it will take them some time to get used to their pots.

My hydrangeas are in the ground, so I can't drown them. Can you water them twice a day? Give them a little water in the morning and a little in the afternoon instead of one big watering?

Also sometimes they will wilt just from the wind or sun even if they have enough water. They will perk up in the evening on their own. Check the moisture in the pot with your finger before you water them.