Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leekle2mane

When a window gets closed...

... a door gets opened. Or at least that's what they say.

Today, my window was two of my citrus plants, a Mandarin tree and a Meyer Lemon bush. I finally took leaf and stem samples from my citrus plants down to my extension office, something I had been putting off because I knew what the verdict was going to be. And sure enough, both the mandarin and the meyer are suffering from Citrus Greening. Oddly enough, however, my Key Lime shows no signs of being infected. So upon getting home I took my brush saw to the two diseased plants and removed them from the yard. I have been applying micro-nutrients to the mandarin and the meyer for some time now, and while I have been keeping them more or less alive and green, they have not been vigorous and every bit of new growth on the mandarin kept dying back. And while I might have been able to keep feeding fertilizer and micros to the affected plants, I figured it was in the best interest of the uninfected Key Lime to just remove them.

But as I pulled up the roots for the mandarin, a light came on. For the longest time I have been trying to figure out where in my yard I could put some of the potted Pine Trees I have, but no suitable locations were available. Suddenly, two prime locations were available that were in just the right places, on the west and northwest sides of my house. Places that would eventually provide that 'high pine shade' during the summer months, but would not block the sun during winter months.

Now, I have read horror stories about pine trees being lightning rods or breaking in high winds, but I have also read that this is often the case when a single pine tree is planted by itself. When planted in groups, pine trees lean on and hug each other and provided support in high winds that a single pine doesn't have. Pine trees also have a tendency to lose limbs as they grow, but the locations that just opened up are far enough from the house that if a limb drops, it won't land on the house.

My issue is: I have four pines in pots, two Long-Leaf pines and two Slash pines and I'm not sure which two I would want to plant. I have looked at pictures of both at mature ages and I just can't decide which one I like better. So I put it to you, fellow Florida Gardeners, which of these two, if either, would you prefer?

On an unrelated note, while I was down at the extension office, I took another walk through their Discovery Gardens. Unfortunately, I did more walking and talking than I did picture taking, but I did get a few pictures that I would like to share.

This was the first thing that really peeked my interest. It was shoved into one of the raised (3 foot tall) planting beds in their Garden of the Five Senses area. I saw another one over in their Hot and Dry garden where I bumped into the MG who had found them at a thrift store. They look super easy to build and I'm thinking if I put one at the end of some stainless steel electrical conduit, I can have a plant stake that doubles as an Anole Apartment. Three anoles were using this one as a resting spot.

This is one of my favorite areas of the gardens and its something I mentioned in another recent post. This is a section of walkway that has two Pineapple Guavas planted on either side of the walk and pruned up to create a natural arch. At 6' 3", I had to duck in a couple places to keep from brushing my head against the arch, but most people would be able to walk through here with no issues. I would love to replicate this some year when I have more land to work with. But my current yard is just too small and narrow to pull this off.

And, of course, the Pineapple Guava was in full bloom today.

This last one wasn't at the gardens, but is a picture of a 'weed' that I took in to get identified. This plant has been growing in and around one of my beds for some time now. A couple times I was almost tempted to pull it completely out, but instead I just kept thinning it out, pulling some of it up and leaving a bit to grow, hoping to some day see if it bloomed. After last week's rains, the plant has exploded in these lavender-pink flowers (though they look white in this picture, yay crappy cell-phone cameras) and it prompted me to get this semi-aggressive spreader identified. And... it turns out to be a native to Florida. It's called Florida Betony and is a type of mint. I'm not sure about the rest of the plant, but the tubers are edible. I'll have to dig one up and see how it tastes. The MG I talked to also said the tubers act as a reserve of moisture for the soil, not just the plant itself. So other plants nearby get to benefit during drier times when the tuber releases some of its stored moisture into the soil.

Comments (18)

• rednofl
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Glad I saw this post I have the Fl Betony and it will take over if you let it... Spreads like dollar weed and it likes a lot of moisture, a real problem in my blueberry beds, It pretty much goes dormant once it gets hot.....

• Michael AKA Leekle2ManE
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yep. It is fairly semi-aggressive. But it doesn't seem to be as 'bad' as my mimosa or passionvine. In fact, it's a lot easier to pull up as the roots tend to be fairly shallow.

I read about its cycle on Clemson U's site and I like how it is a cool season perennial. When my mimosa and other plants start to go dormant (or semi-dormant in the case of the mimosa), this plant will be coming up to keep the beds green. I am thinking this is one 'weed' that I am willing to work with rather than fight.

• Tom
    9 years ago

I vote for the long-leaf pines. They are native and very beautiful when they are grown out. In the condo where I once lived I had several pines right off my porch. I loved to hear the wind sing through those trees. It's a unique sound.

I suppose every tree has its own sound, though.

• shuffles_gw
    9 years ago

I too am a fan of long leaf pines. However, I understand they grow very slowly, especially the first several years. One big difference, if I remember correctly, is that slash pines will grow with a high water table but long leafs will not. I have a high water table, but my lone pine is a 25 year old loblolly. Where I live is supposedly out of its typical range, but this one has done very well. It supports a huge bougainvillea. Due to the high water table, if I were to plant another pine, it would be a slash pine.

Original Author
    9 years ago

According to Floridata, both can handle saturated soils. Naturally speaking, though, the Slash Pine is generally found in moister soils while Longleaf naturally occurs... just about anywhere. Which I guess is a good indication on which I should plant since I am something like 150 ft above my water table. Right plant, right place.

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    9 years ago

Leekle,

I bet your pines are going to look great! Plants look best when planted in odd-numbered groups: groups of 3, 5, 7 or more plants. I don't remember all of the science behind that but someone in landscaping design can probably explain why. So my suggestion is to get two more pines and plant three on each side of your home. Plant them in a not-quite-perfect triangle. I am constantly planting triangles (3s) and pentagrams (5s) in my yard to try and get the most pleasing design. I'm not always successful but that is the goal! :)

Carol in Jacksonville

Original Author
    9 years ago

Yeah, it has to do with the way our eyes tend to find the center of something to take in the whole. With an even number the center is empty space so we don't really see the group. By having the odd numbers our eyes find that center plant and the entire group forms into one 'entity'. I do this a lot in my yard for sections that I want to be focused on. If I expect something to just act as a filler or back drop, then I don't worry about even or odd.

The Longleafs I have were recently acquired from an Earth Day event at a nearby Cemex plant, so they're still in their grass stage. The slash pines I acquired in January of 2013 and have been residing in pots ever since. They have gone out of grass stage and now have nice 3 ft tall trunks. I am debating on just planting the two Longleafs which will be far enough away from each other that they don't look like a group, but close enough to 'lean' on each other as they get taller. But I also kind of want to do a group of three and use one of Slash Pines to act as the third one, giving the trees that much more support when they reach those sky-scraping heights.

• wisconsitom
    9 years ago

Leekle, I'm a huge fan of your S. Florida "pine flatwoods" and as far as I've been able to discern, these consist almost entirely of elliota, er, slash pines. I don't know that there's a more beautiful sight than a native stand of these trees with the saw palmetto understory, etc. So I'd go with those. Now I don't have nearly as much knowledge about longleaf but for that matter, the needles on slash are also very long. The orangish bark is a stunning sight too, I do declare.

So what about using both species? Or is there simply not room for that?

+oM

Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Tom. As it is, I am more central to central-north. The area I am in is one of the higher locations of this fairly flat state. According to historical data I have read, the area I am in is considered sandhills or pine sandhills. Both Slash and Longleaf grew here, but Longleaf has been far more extensively farmed to the point where one site, Floridata I think, stated that there are no longer ANY virgin stands of Longleaf. I am not trying to revert my yard back to pre-colonial times, but I do try to keep in mind what what naturally belongs here. The way I see it, God/Nature put those type of plants here for a reason, so the best I can do is try to incorporate them into my yard along with the exotics. And besides, it's hard for me to turn my nose up at the idea of free pine needle mulch!

As far as my debate goes, I went out today and looked over my beds from various angles and it turns out that there was no debate. To try and incorporate three pines into the bed would have required a pretty massive transplanting effort of several plants that are finally to the point of being established. Something I was not really wanting to do. So now two grass-stage Longleafs are sitting in their new homes and starting their own establishment period.

• Tom
    9 years ago

Leekle, I am also on a sandhill ridge. It is called the Lake Wales Ridge. It extends from about where I live in Clermont south for about a hundred miles to Lake Wales in Highland County.

I am very fortunate to live near Lake Louisa State Park. I have volunteered there. They have made a concerted effort to plant the Long-leaf pines. They do periodic burns to kill non-native vegetation. The park has a large deer population, some of which I see frequently. It also has a large population of Zebra Swallowtails.

Anyway, I really support your planting of the Long-leaf pines. You are returning some of the habitat to its natural state.

9 years ago

my neighbor

• irma_stpete_10a
    9 years ago

Love-the-yard: intriguing photo; might you post the same but taken from a distance?

9 years ago

Sure - I'll go get one now! The photo above is two or three years old.

Carol

9 years ago

Here's some fresh ones. My neighbors have a beautiful yard and awesome shade! The Canary Island Date Palm and pine tree combo is simple yet breath-taking.

Carol

• irma_stpete_10a
    9 years ago

Beautiful settings! Thanks!

• wisconsitom
    9 years ago

Yes quite inspiring. Now I'm itching to get back down there! Heck, we may as well be in Florida the last few days, what with these tropical-like downpours!

+oM

Original Author
    9 years ago

I dare say those pictures have me re-re-evaluating my beds and trying to figure out where I can put in those two slash pines as well as the long-leafs. I think I have found a spot for one of them, just need to find a spot for the other. When we get our own, larger bit of land, there will definitely be a Pine Corner in the NW part of the yard.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Also, as an aside, apparently I am not the only one having to bite the bullet in regards to Citrus Greening. We were passing through Mt. Dora this morning and there was a Citrus Grove that had a herd of cows turned loose on it. They were really going to town and doing a good job of defoliating the sad looking citrus bushes in the field. Though, I question the wisdom of letting cattle munch on diseased plants.