Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
To harvest or not to harvest; that is the question (first cuke)

Posted by TheTradition 9b (My Page) on
Fri, May 10, 13 at 17:38

Here's my first cuke of the season. Package says this variety produces 11" cukes. This one is 9 1/2" but I know cutting it will inspire the plant to make more.

Cut it now, or wait?

This post was edited by TheTradition on Fri, May 10, 13 at 17:40

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: To harvest or not to harvest; that is the question (first cuk

Close up of cuke

o

• Posted by whgille Oakland FL Zone 9B (My Page) on
    Fri, May 10, 13 at 17:53

Your first cuke looks good! it is probably ready to eat now. I have 3 varieties planted and they are keeping me with a fresh supply. I made hummus for cucumber dipping.

Silvia

o

Thanks, Sylvia! High praise from the Queen of the Florida Gardening Forum!

If I wait, will it plump up some more? Or do I risk having it turn bitter or negatively influencing further production?

This is Burpee "Salad Slicer" hybrid, btw. Supposedly a high producer. There are three plants in the container, and three more good sized developing fruits. But the pictured one is the first to approach harvesting size.

o

• Posted by whgille Oakland FL Zone 9B (My Page) on
    Fri, May 10, 13 at 20:06

Thank you for your nice comments, you are being very kind.:) About the cucumbers in my experience they will grow bigger and then you can still eat them at any size, just trim the inside. They get bitter when they get uneven watering. When is very hot, I try to keep them moist. It is better for production to keep the fruit picked while young and not to let it mature because that can send the wrong signals to the plant.

I just had a cucumber cooler it is made in the blender with cucumber, water, lime juice, mint, sugar to taste, a pinch of salt and pepper.

photo May2013_034_zps46cda2ae.jpg

Silvia

o

After seeing that drink, I'd run outside and grab me this cuke to throw her in the blender.....Both, cukes and drink look awesome!

o

I would have harvested it already, lol, but I love cukes and I get impatient!

Sylvia, I just made some hummus for cucumber dipping too - that's what I had for breakfast this morning. I may try that drink too. It looks very refreshing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here