Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
growing watermelon in 5 gallon bucket

Posted by kmrogers1285 9b (My Page) on
Fri, May 7, 10 at 17:44

Hi, I've been a watcher on this forum for a year or so and have been really impressed with everyone's wealth of knowledge and willingness to share ideas. I've read a couple of posts about growing watermelon in 5 gallon buckets and was wondering how it works. Do you have them grow up a trellis or just let them spill over? I've got several plants that I started from seed and am about ready to plant. I'm running out of garden space, and thought the 5 gallon bucket idea might be the way to go. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: growing watermelon in 5 gallon bucket

• Posted by whgille Oakland, FL-Zone 9B (My Page) on
    Fri, May 7, 10 at 19:55

Kmrogers

I am growing a white watermelon on a trellis, the container is bigger than 5 gallon buckets. They need room to grow, mine is a small variety, a bigger watermelon would be heavy on the trellis unless you use some kind of support.

Photobucket

Silvia

o

Thanks Silvia,

I've got a raised bed garden that my husband built last spring. I may try growing them up the back trellis with some support. The watermelons I planted are a little bigger than the one you show, but not huge. Thanks, Karen

Here is a link that might be useful: veg garden

o

• Posted by whgille Oakland, FL-Zone 9B (My Page) on
    Sat, May 8, 10 at 14:06

Karen

That is a nice bed, the watermelon will do well there and you can make a hammock out of an old t-shirt for the fruit.

Last season I had winter squash that was heavy on the trellis and did well.

Photobucket

Keep us updated on your watermelons, have a great season!

Silvia

o

a hammock out of an old t-shirt - that's simply brilliant silvia!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here